What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Sleeving?

Flamable Cabin Materials

Very compelling argument against its use for furniture, or seats in large aircraft where you could be trying to escape the area, but in the context of an RV, if the seat cushion you are sitting on is burning and producing lethal gases, I think you are probably already out of luck anyway.

While I tend to agree in principle, I feel that it would be a real shame if a small heat source turned into a large, fatal fire because of poor choices in cabin materials. An example of this might be a small electrical heat source such as a bad seat heater circuit or cell-phone battery fire that may be somewhat manageable on it's own but spreads to a flammable seat and causes a larger more dangerous fire because we chose to use inappropriate materials in the cabin.

Skylor

While I tend to agree in principle, I feel that it would be a real shame if a small heat source turned into a large, fatal fire because of poor choices in cabin materials. An example of this might be a small electrical heat source such as a bad seat heater circuit or cell-phone battery fire that may be somewhat manageable on it's own but spreads to a flammable seat and causes a larger more dangerous fire because we chose to use inappropriate materials in the cabin.

Skylor

Valid points if you have seat heaters or you fly with your phone in your pocket.
Neither which apply to me (or anyone else I know).

Getting pretty far from fire-sleeved hoses. I'm just sayin' ;)

Yea, especially if you include all the talk of firewall insulation, firewall heat valves, etc., but I guess those are at least closer (physically) to the fire sleeved hoses than seat cushions are......:rolleyes: ;)

Firewall

On my airplane, not an RV, I have 100% stainless on the firewall. Heat box, stainless shrouds for all the pass thru's, stainless bulkhead fittings for the fuel line and manifold pressure lines, etc.
Stainless belly panel behind the exhaust going back about 24", ceramic insulation behind the firewall and above the belly sheet metal.
I have had two small engine fires in twins, two exhaust failures in singles-no fire, and an engine disassembly in flight on a piston twin with oil and fuel all over the place. No fire.
As for smoke in the cockpit, there are throwaway smoke hoods and emergency O2 supplies that would get you on the ground safely if you act quickly. The airline style smoke hoods are readily available if you want to spend the money.
A lot of time sitting on a chute and the only time I was sure I would use it was in the event of a fire.

Aeromedix

Aeromedix is Dr. Brent Blue, well known designated medical examiner.
Lots more info on this and two others in Avweb article.

My firewall forward kit arrived yesterday,. What is the best option for fire sleeving the braided oil lines that came with it? The fuel lines are already fire sleeved. Thanks.

Gary---you can buy the firesleeve and bands, AND the banding tool from Spruce and do it yourself, maybe find a buddy that has one, or send us the hoses and we'll do it for you.

Tom

Thanks Tom and Kyle. Once I confirm they are all the right length I'll decide what I want to do. Tom, you did some brake lines and fuel lines for me already, great workmanship and service, thanks.

Gary

Back