What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking for puncture repair

Bottle jack.

Graham, on my -6A I screwed a bolt into the wing tiedown and used a bottle jack on a couple of concrete blocks, topped with a piece of wood.

You may need weight on the tail to do it this way.

Best,

At home I use this:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=561-1

I carry in my airplane a jack kit from Van's (no longer on their webstore). It includes two wing tie-down jack points and a clamp jack point that clamps on gear leg. It comes in a very small box and easy to keep in the airplane.

I had flat tire twice both while taxiing to runway for take off at an out-of-state airports. Both time we had two guys got under the wing to lift the wheel up and set it on a dolly. We moved airplane away from taxiway. One time the FBO lent me a wing jack and I used the wing jack point to lift the wing up. The second time I used the clamp jack point on the leg and a floor jack to lift it up. At home I prefer the one referenced above.

Last edited:
At home I use one of these:

(Click on picture for details.)

I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had a flat yet but I'm sure my day is coming.

At home I use one of these:

(Click on picture for details.)

I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had a flat yet but I'm sure my day is coming.
Bill-How does this attach/pick up the gear leg? Can't tell from Avery's site.

I just built one of the jacks used at the tie down, but I'm still not entirely convinced that jacking up 500# on the wing tie down is the best way to do it. Seems like a lot of weight on the tapped aluminum tiedown and a lot of weight all focused at one very small point on the spar, especially on a -9 wing with the larger arm due to a longer wingspan.

I simply lift the aircraft with an engine hoist tied to the engine mount.

I simply lift the aircraft with an engine hoist tied to the engine mount.

Mel, I've heard from a couple A&Ps locally that lifting by the engine hoist (when the engine is attached to the airplane) is not a good idea because of the possibility of failure from the extra weight of the attached airplane. At least one of them described having seen such a failure. Since hearing from these guys, whenever I lift the airplane by the engine, I wrap lift cables around the front of the engine plus the engine mount.

Greg

Never lift the aircraft by the engine!

Mel, I've heard from a couple A&Ps locally that lifting by the engine hoist (when the engine is attached to the airplane) is not a good idea because of the possibility of failure from the extra weight of the attached airplane. At least one of them described having seen such a failure. Since hearing from these guys, whenever I lift the airplane by the engine, I wrap lift cables around the front of the engine plus the engine mount.
Greg

I didn't say I lift by the engine hoist. I lift WITH a hoist tied to the engine MOUNT. NOT the engine.

Jack Point

I use a pipe cap that fits loosly over your bottle jack drill a 3/8" hole in the end and put a 3/8" X 2-1/2" bolt and nut (threads out the cap) tighten the nut and bolt. Then just screw the thing in the tie down hole and jack with a bottle jack. No worries about the jack slipping off and damaging your wing.

Bill-How does this attach/pick up the gear leg? Can't tell from Avery's site.

There is a cable that wraps around the gear leg, just after it bends horizontally. You can see the cable in the picture in the link included in my post. Just don't wrap the cable around your brake line.

Last edited:
Today I changed both tires on my RV-7. I used the 'hose clamp around the gear leg' method and then used my scissor jack from my SUV to jack the plane. It could not have been easier.

Mark.

Changing RV tire

Have your co-pilot put their back under the wing and lift a few inches. It does work, although it makes it hard to keep a co-pilot interested.

A standard auto floor jack with a cable works best in absense of wing jacks.

Also, as mentioned, a bottle jack with enough cribbage will work at the wing tie down.

Last edited:
Back