What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Handle

dick seiders

Well Known Member
I am certain this issue has been discussed before so this is for those who still have the problem. ie;the handle gets loose as it wears, and likes to tilt to the closed direction when putting canopy down in the hangar. This is inconvieient as you then have to climb up to hold handle parallel to the roll bar with a hat or something to open the canopy which is very awkward. After two years (I am a slow learner) I bought a 1"x2" x1/4" magnet at ACE Hardware aviation section and stuck it on the roll bar with a bit of velchro in front of handle. No more tilting back problems, and the magnet does not affect any airplane avionics functions.
Dick Seiders

Pinch

If you gently pinch the "tube" the handle rests in, as the directions recommend, problem is solved. I also put up with the issue :D for several months before taking action.

I am fighting that and I am not even flying yet. However Dick, I cannot quite figure this out, can you post a photo? Sometime I thought someone cured it by putting an O ring between the handle and the canopy?
I am certain this issue has been discussed before so this is for those who still have the problem. ie;the handle gets loose as it wears, and likes to tilt to the closed direction when putting canopy down in the hangar. This is inconvieient as you then have to climb up to hold handle parallel to the roll bar with a hat or something to open the canopy which is very awkward. After two years (I am a slow learner) I bought a 1"x2" x1/4" magnet at ACE Hardware aviation section and stuck it on the roll bar with a bit of velchro in front of handle. No more tilting back problems, and the magnet does not affect any airplane avionics functions.
Dick Seiders

If you gently pinch the "tube" the handle rests in, as the directions recommend, problem is solved. I also put up with the issue :D for several months before taking action.

Like Steve said, the install instructions specify to slightly pinch the tube on the canopy frame to an oval shape (a C-clamp works well) to make the handle rotate with some friction so that it stays were you put it.

And when they say "lightly" they really mean it! I overdid it and I had a hard time undoing that dent I put in there....

I am fighting that and I am not even flying yet. However Dick, I cannot quite figure this out, can you post a photo? Sometime I thought someone cured it by putting an O ring between the handle and the canopy?

Yes, that was me. ;)

It happens to be the same size oring as the brake cylinders have. I had to replace a leaking one when I was building and it was laying on the bench. It is a perfect fit, but don't take them apart just to get the size.

Just take the handle to the hardware store and get a couple of different sizes.

No issues at all after 3 years and 250 hours. ;)

Last edited:
The dent technique doesn't appeal to me as such imprecise adjustments seldom work well. The o ring is a good idea, but I find it a hassle getting the handle on and off. So I took the lazy man's fix with magnet as it can't get any simpler. Appreciate the feedback.
Dick Seiders

And no dents in the tubes. ;)

If you are able to visably see a dent in the tube, you most likely would not be able to insert the handle any longer (without the use of a very large hammer anyway) ;);)
The manual says slightly squeeze the tube...

O (for the wings of a dove)

I must be the class weakling.

I couldn't persuade the tube to bend, so I resorted to the "o" ring. I'm now on my second one (after 100 hours), but happy with the result.

Cheers...Keith

I modified the handle to have a positive detent at the open a closed positions:

IMG_0293.JPG

You can read about it and see additional pictures here:

http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2012/04/modified-canopy-safety-latch.html

Back