What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans History Of Tee Shirts

turbo

Well Known Member
img0190v.jpg

its been 10 years of vans for me and this worn down tee was my first. i had no idea what i was getting into! what a great accomplishment for everyone involved in these planes, mostly van. thanks. this must be a factory shirt. i love it. who designed it, i have no idea.

lets see what you have in your closet. im sure there is some interesting stuff out there. this is for vans shirts only. anything related to ower machines.

by the way, how many years has it been for vans aircraft? whats the official start date?

Always loved that image...

...wish I could get a shirt like that, or similar, side-by-side. Hmmm, there are the cutaway drawings. I wonder what it would take to get permission or have him do a T-shirt?

Jeremy Constant
RV 7A Phase I

Old Van's T-Shirts

I still have one that (on the back) says "Friends Don't Let Friends Fly Plastic Airplanes"!

Tommy
RV-6A, N 350 TW
491 Hrs & "Climbing"!

Tommy,
Yeah, I still have that one too. It says "RV Magic" on the front. I bought it at the Vans tent at Sun N' Fun many years ago. It always riles the canard guys

I see that the Vans Airforce shirts are still available. See

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1266542669-112-261&browse=personal&product=vaf

Charlie Kuss

I still have one that (on the back) says "Friends Don't Let Friends Fly Plastic Airplanes"!

Tommy
RV-6A, N 350 TW
491 Hrs & "Climbing"!

Van's products

Thanks Charlie...I hadn't seen it on Van's site. Just ordered some stuff with that image...GREAT!!!

Jeremy

RV Magic T Shirt

I had an "RV Magic" t-shirt that I literally wore out. It had so many holes in it that Beverly wouldn't even use it for a dust rag. :eek: I bought it at Sun'n Fun circa '96.

The Van's Air Force Logo

img0190v.jpg

its been 10 years of vans for me and this worn down tee was my first. i had no idea what i was getting into! what a great accomplishment for everyone involved in these planes, mostly van. thanks. this must be a factory shirt. i love it. who designed it, i have no idea.

lets see what you have in your closet. im sure there is some interesting stuff out there. this is for vans shirts only. anything related to ower machines.

by the way, how many years has it been for vans aircraft? whats the official start date?

Randall Henderson is the designer and owner of that AWESOME logo!!!! He is also the builder and owner of a BEAUTIFUL RV-6.

Worn on Special Occassions

I bought my RV-Magic shirt at Sun-n-Fun 1995 when I was looking at what airplane to build... I started my RV-6A tail kit summer of 1995 and finished Summer of 2000 :D Rosie

RV-Magic.jpg

And Tuppergal's T-shirt is near mint condition :)

Front:
RV-Magic1.jpg

Back:
RV-Magic2.jpg

Last edited:
Old Style Vansairforce RV-4 shirt

I wish I would have bought several of those cut-away older style shirts of the RV-4 when I had the chance years ago. I still have my shirt, but it is like the one pictured....all worn out. Does anyone still have a nice condition shirt out there? I'd likely be interested in buying it (size large).

Last edited:
I wish I would have bought several of those cut-away older style shirts of the RV-4 when I had the chance years ago. I still have it, but it is like the onw pictured....all worn out. Does anyone still have a nice condition one out there? I'd likely be interested in buying it (size large).

As already mentioned in this thread, you can still buy them from Van's.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1266542669-112-261&browse=personal&product=vaf

Yes I did that

The Van's Air Force logo started just as a t-shirt for our local fly-in but everyone liked it so much it became a cottage industry (and de-facto Van's Air Force logo!) How fun to watch that happen. After developing all the "gear" and wholesaling to Van's for a while I sold it to Vans and they have that stuff made themselves now.

Check out EAA chapter 105's gallery of tee-shirts from the NW RV Fly-In through the years at http://www.eaa105.org/Activities/Tshirts/tshirts.html. If you don't have one of each, your're nobody!
:)

Randall Henderson

Found another ...........

img0219r.jpg

tshirt today. i forgot about this one. it was donated by vans aircraftat at SNF to ower club for a poker run door prize. guess who pick it. you bet. RV-8 nice grafics. thanks to van. turbo:rolleyes:
img0219iv.jpg

Last edited:
Would love a new style VAF "Nose Art" shirt..

My favorite aviation shirt I own is the faded red Vans AF with the hula girl on it- I can't believe that there hasn't been a series of these. Was it in the interest of PC that there hasn't been another one? How does one go about getting a new design made? Is this Doug's department?

Last edited:
Tees

Tommy
RV-6A, N 350 TW
491 Hrs & "Climbing"!

On the back of my Lancair T-shirt it says " Friends don't let friends fly in airplanes that corrode!"

My favorite aviation shirt I own is the faded red Vans AF with the hula girl on it- I can't believe that there hasn't been a series of these. Was it in the interest of PC that there hasn't been another one? How does one go about getting a new design made? Is this Doug's department?

Yep, Dougs thing.

There was a thread about it a couplethree years ago.

More info here, at bottom.

Yep, Dougs thing.

There was a thread about it a couplethree years ago.

More info here, at bottom.

Well, It looks like he bowed down to "PC". That's a shame. as he said, there are more risque things to be seen on daytme TV. I think I will go ahead and print my own. It was a great idea.

Back