What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic Training

Nice flight in an Extra (if you like that kind of thing!)

I did some acro training in a Super-D; pretty fun. And then, I got a ride in an RV-7A. OMG .. what a great airplane! Roll rate was much faster, the feel was much better. In every way, superior!

That's why I'm building a -7. The plane's way too cool for words!

Nice!

I bought 5 hours of dual instruction in a Pitts S-2C a few years ago. Some of the best flying money I've spent! I'd love to get some time in the Extra too.

I'm getting some refresher training and my BFR sign-off in a Super Decathalon now. After flying the Pitts, it seems a little tame. But, still a lot more fun than a spam-can.

Spendrift, I think I saw some of that same footage from Bruce's perspective over on pacificnorthwestflying.com.

][/URL]
Spindrift, I think I saw some of that same footage from Bruce's perspective over on pacificnorthwestflying.com.

Yep. He posted a video of the accelerated stalls. Its fun to see the different perspectives, plus his footage is also good because it has the audio to explain what's happening.The stall on the vertical pull of the loop was quite a surprise, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me confidence to recover from a botched maneuver.

The roll rate of the Extra is sick compared to the RV. Most of the rolls were intentionally at a more reasonable rate comparable to an RV, but I had to try the faster rate at the end just to see it, and that was still not full deflection. You can't hear my giddy reaction even though I stopped rolling before full rotation.:D

acro

Fun video and good job on your 1st barrel roll! Now show a pic of the ball and then pouring your iced tea into a glass while barreling upside down. Thanks for posting. Which POV camera were you using?

Aerobatics.

Nice one Bill. I fly a lot of gentleman's aerobatics in my RV-7 and have also owned a Yak-52 and done aerobatics in a Super-D etc. I have never flown comp and have no interest. On a recent family holiday to the US, I decided that I wanted to do some duel time in an Extra 300 as they are my favourite aircraft. I called Mike Blackstone at Skythrills, Fullerton CA. I did 1.1 hours of duel with him and it was a fantastic experience. I absolutely LOVED the Extra, however, it also made me realise how nice the RV flies. Mike is an excellent and passionate instructor. Here is a seven minute video of the highlights. http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4WGdu8q44o (I have no connection to this company)

aerobatics

Nice video Mark. You are a smooth pilot! Was the 300 all that you expected? Thanks again for posting your experience. Bill

I love the Extra

Great video! The Extra is an amazing aircraft.

I get to fly one again this fall and I can't wait!!!

Nice video Mark. You are a smooth pilot! Was the 300 all that you expected? Thanks again for posting your experience. Bill

Yes Bill, it was everything I expected. If the wife would let me sell the house and live in a trailer park, I'd buy one ;) I found it so easy to fly.

Which POV camera were you using?

Pouring tea is a long way off! I'm using a GoPro Hero2.

This morning I dabbled a bit with some rolls, one loop and a half cuban-8 in my RV, with an additional 1000' more altitude than in the Extra, just in case. Fun stuff! Video from my under-wing mount to follow once I have time to edit.

Back