What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket-style vent location

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Getting ready to fab up a rocket-style vent (coiled tube in wing root), and looking for advice on location of the actual vent itself. I'm assuming most people put it in the gap "fairing" piece of metal, but where exactly?

TIA...

Steve

Try a search on here for coil fuel tank vents, Paul Dye done a write up on them, his is on his rv3 but it would be a good start for you to see what he did. I am planning on doing the same on my 8.

bird

Yeah, that pic is essentially what I'm planning, the only thing I was thinking is that if you put the vent at that point on the tank skin, the metal "strip" which wraps around the wing to hold the rubber fairing in place would be a booger because it will interfere with it...so I was thinking it might be easier to put the vent actually *on* the metal strip instead? It would make installation/removal of the tank just a tiny bit more involved, but might be cleaner from the standpoint of the overlapping parts (tank, strip). I dunno...will keep searching, and any experiences anyone can share are a help...thx!

Steve

Put mine in the fairing......

We've done four planes this way and put the vent in the fairing on all of them. Will try to post pictures later!

NACA Vents

I made small modified NACA vents that rivet flush on the bottom side skin, just in front of the spar.

Here is a picture of the vent installed.

Last edited:
Back