What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight test time period...

rvpilot

Well Known Member
Curious, those that have their -12's flying,. how many hours did you have to fly off? Where is this time period addressed?
Thanks!

E-LSA Phase I flight testing...

Curious, those that have their -12's flying,. how many hours did you have to fly off? Where is this time period addressed?
Thanks!

is for a minimum of 5 hours. This is addressed in FAA Order 8130.2F, Paragraph 143(c)(1).

On the other hand if you chose to go E-AB, phase I will be a minimum of 40 hours. ref 8130.2F, paragraph 153(c)(1).

Last edited:
I know rules don't have to make sense if the FAA is involved but everytime I see this, I have to chuckle and think how rediculous those rules are...5hrs ain't enough I don't care if it is a snap together one size fits all airplane. It is still an airplane that someone builds in their garage!

Last edited:
I know rules don't have to make sense if the FAA is involved but everytime I see this, I have to chuckle and think how rediculous those rules are...5hrs ain't enough I don't care if it is a snap together one size fits all airplane. It is still an airplane that someone builds in their garage!

This has to be taken in proper context. I can't say for sure but I think this may have been the requirement established for transitioning over weight ultralights (they had already been flying).
Anyway, there are other requirements... The process for a kit built RV-12 to be certificated as an E-LSA requires that the builder follow the provided Production Acceptance Procedure. This is the same document (approved by the FAA) that would be used during final inspection and production flight test on each airplane if RV-12s' were being mass produced on an assembly line.

It is doubtful that any RV-12 builder would actually finish the complete testing plan in 5 hours. 10 hours is much more likely. This may still seem like a short amount of time, but remember, they are testing an airplane that is built exactly like one that went through an extensive amount of testing.

So the main point is...it isn't a lot of time, but at least there is a very exhaustive test program that the builder is supposed to follow (and sign there name too say they did). FAr too many of teh builders that have to fly 25 or 40 hours do little more than prove the engine will stay running for that long. I feel that the substance of the testing is at least as important (probably more so) as the amount of time spent doing it.

Last edited:
Scott is right!

And remember that the 5 hours is an absolute minimum. If you complete the required test program, it is very unlikely that you will do it within 5 hours.

Back