What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie Down Techniques in Windy Conditions

gellisor

I'm New Here
Just curious how some of you block the rudder from moving in the wind. Since there are only cables between the pedals and the rudder, there must be pressure on both pedals, or a block on the rudder assembly.

I have tried several methods, but wonder how others approach this. Open to suggestions! Thanks.

So you won't have to check the poster's profile, looks like he has a -9A. S. Buchanan

Last edited by a moderator:
York Gust-Lok

On my RV-6A I made several attempts to build a pvc rudder lock that jams between the rudder pedals an the front of the spar. I even made an extendable version using a pole I bought from Lowe's Aviation. Never was satisfied with the stiffness of any of the versions and thought that if it was really gusty outside the rudder would eventually wiggle loose. Reluctantly I bought a York Gust Loc from Aircraft Spruce. I do not like it as it is clumsy to put in place, weighs about 3 lbs, and talks up baggage space (not to mention the $200 cost). Once installed it works great. I also like it because it is inside the plane and you can not take off with it installed.

Not a good answer to your question but more info for you to consider.

You tube video

John

Is that something you made up? Could you give us some details so one could be made.

Thanks

Ted

John,

When I click that link, I get an interview with Van on the 12 and didn't see a gust lock...

What I did was drill a hole in each of the rudder stops and two holes (one each side) in the bottom of the rudder (can't remember the part number, but the 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 thick angle), bent a couple of pieces of 1/8" wire into "u" shapes, and insert the wires into the holes. The wires have about 6 inches on the sides of the U, and obviously they have to be bent to fit your installation tightly.

greg

Video

Greg

Yes it is an interview with Van with the RV12.

If you look at the video again you will see a gust lock in the first few seconds when they are viewing the plane. It is seen again at about the 1:30 point.

It is a gust lock that looks like maybe it's PVC tubing with foam pipe insulation on it. It wraps around the rudder and vertical stab keeping them in alignment. Not sure of details on the construction of it which is why I asked John to elaberate on it.

Ted

Simple..

Simple... drill a hole in the rudder stop and another one in the rudder brace. Bend up a piece of steel rod in the shape of a large U. One end goes in each hole. Works great... don't forget to put a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag on it.
Just curious how some of you block the rudder from moving in the wind. Since there are only cables between the pedals and the rudder, there must be pressure on both pedals, or a block on the rudder assembly.

I have tried several methods, but wonder how others approach this. Open to suggestions! Thanks.

So you won't have to check the poster's profile, looks like he has a -9A. S. Buchanan

I just make sure the tail wheel is straight and locked. Then the tail wheel chains holds the rudder in place. No issues at all.

Oh, you are talking about the -9A...

Do the gust lock upside down U pin with a "Remove Before Flight" flag, as Matthew suggested. I've seen some people have a third rod welded in the bottom of the U so it looks like a fork. The center prong is for the RBF flag.

I just made it out of PVC pipe, some pipe insulation foam, and parachute cord with a foot or so of 3/8 rubber hose at the front and back to keep the parachute cord from marring the paint. (hose goes inside the pipe at the front and back). I also use one of those "tent tiedown" cord holders to hold the cord tight. I keep in in the back of the 9 as it only weighs about 1.5 pounds. If it is especially windy, I use one more short section of parachute cord to keep it from sliding up. It works OK for me, but I probably would do something else if your bird is outside all the time on a tiedown. I only use it for overnight when on cross-country.

I go one step further

Simple... drill a hole in the rudder stop and another one in the rudder brace. Bend up a piece of steel rod in the shape of a large U. One end goes in each hole. Works great... don't forget to put a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag on it.

When I install mine, I also install one of those Icom's "Add before flight" flags with a squeeze clip to my instrument panel directly in front of me and it does not come off until the U bracket has been removed and stowed in the pocket beside my seat.

Same here...

Yep.. I have the exact same little flag that I have attached to the bracket itself. Your idea might be better... keep me from embarrassing myself in front of others....

When I install mine, I also install one of those Icom's "Add before flight" flags with a squeeze clip to my instrument panel directly in front of me and it does not come off until the U bracket has been removed and stowed in the pocket beside my seat.

Quick Fix

I appreciate all the suggestions, but as you may have experienced----I was in a bind and had to do something quick. So, I went to Lowes Aviation and bought a short piece of pine (light) 1x4 and two clips that hold mops on the wall. I screwed the two clips on the end of the 1x4, cut it to length to brace from the botton of the seat to the pedals. The clips fit on each inside upright on the rudder pedals. Everything is snug and works good. Not as professional, but I can't fly till I remove my 1x4. I think I will sand and varnish it. Blind hog found a nugget!

PVC in the cabin

I made a gust lock out of PVC pipe and fittings. I goes from the peddles to the front of the spar with some velcro to hold it in position on the spar. A hot air gun will soften up the pipe so you can mould a curve in it for a custom fit. Another plus over the outside types is that you cant forget it before flight.

Back