What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming piston engines

jask

Well Known Member
I was told recently that lycoming no longer manufactures any parts for their piston engines. They just assemble engines from purchased parts. Is that true?

I was told recently that lycoming no longer manufactures any parts for their piston engines. They just assemble engines from purchased parts. Is that true?

I've done the Lyc factory tour, and I dont remember exactly if this is true, but I suspect so. They do a lot of machining to raw cases and pistons for sure (and probably everything else), which I assume they get from various subs, but so what? This is nothing new in the manufacturing arena.....

To assume they assemble from finished parts, no thats not true at all.

FALSE.

The Lycoming Factory has a machine to make pistons and crankshafts right in the factory. I remember these two from the factory tour a year or two ago.

I’ll pile on with Gary - Lycoming has quite a bit of the factory dedicated to machining (They get raw forging and castings and make finished parts) and they have a state-of-the-art CNC line for making perfect matched sets of pistons. They also have vacuum nitriding machines and all sots of other goodies that are in constant use.

Pile on also

Lycoming has a fantastic piston making machine. They also assemble the cylinders on site. They are bringing back in-house a lot of things that they once outsourced during the lean years when profits was scare.

However, the one thing that they can't bring back in yet is the foundry. They sold their foundry years ago and now wished that they had it back. So things like case and cylinder castings are still outsourced.

Castings

Lycoming has a fantastic piston making machine. They also assemble the cylinders on site. They are bringing back in-house a lot of things that they once outsourced during the lean years when profits was scare.

However, the one thing that they can't bring back in yet is the foundry. They sold their foundry years ago and now wished that they had it back. So things like case and cylinder castings are still outsourced.
That must have been a really long time ago. In the mid 60's a company in NY State was supplying Lycoming with the cylinder castings..

Thread?

This thread my friends, is the definition of ‘thread drift’. What happened to the discussion about Lycoming building engines?

Well, I have a factory Lycoming in my RV-8 with parts made by Lycoming and their subcontractors. For example, I'm pretty sure the oil thermostat A.K.A "Vernatherm Valve" was made by Rostra-Vernatherm, not Lycoming. :D

Skylor

Last edited:
Mine has superior cylinders, they work just fine. Everything seems to be outsourced these days. Surprised to see a Kawasaki Industries actuator in a B-757 though.

Back