What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mobil One, Anyone?

Shell's entire line of Rotella is a "low ash" oil. Not an ashless dispersant.

Per Shell's website, the T6 is a low ash, multi-functional dispersant.

Please help me out...what is the difference, and how does it differ from a "high ash" oil? An oil industry representative recommended this oil. No, he did not work for Shell. He said it would be very compatible with 100LL.

Last edited:
FYI, for those mentioning that Aviation Mobil 1 has been discontinued, the issues of that product would not be relevant here. The problem with the Aviation Mobil 1, was that it leached copper out of the engine. This seemed to be an issue with Continental Engines, more so than with Lycoming products. Since Myron is using an auto engine, not relevant here.
Charlie

Isn't this the same reason you shouldn't run auto oil in an aircraft engine?

let me try and explain

TXflyguy, Shell rotella is a diesel engine oil. Most all diesel oils are both detergent and dispersants. All contain ash as an additive. I am not sure from your post if your using an aviation engine (lycom,Cont) or something other. If something other than you could use the rotella. I am in the oil industry don't recommend any synthetic oil in aviation engines until the lead is removed from Low lead, which really has a lot of lead in it. Read all the information on Moblie 1 in aviation engine it all applies. That is why both Exxon and Shell are synthetic blends. Exxon is I think 50% synthetic and Shell 75%. You need the petroleum help scavenge lead away.I found your original post and I would not use any auto/diesel oils with LL. The problem is the FUEL.

Last edited:
Per Shell's website, the T6 is a low ash, multi-functional dispersant.

Please help me out...what is the difference, and how does it differ from a "high ash" oil? An oil industry representative recommended this oil. No, he did not work for Shell. He said it would be very compatible with 100LL.

Low "ash" oil leave less deposit in the cylinder when it burns. On 2-cycle engines, you want to mix a low ash oil to help lubricate and not create deposits. Yes some guys will mix low ash 2-cycle oil with diesel fuel on their diesel engines to help with lubrication.

Isn't this the same reason you shouldn't run auto oil in an aircraft engine?

I always use the oil recommended by the engine manufacturer and oil industry for any internal combustion engine that I use. I also follow manufacturer and oil industry recommendations for all my lubrication needs.

When I find one oil company recommend something that all the other major oil companies do not recommend, I say away from their products.

TXflyguy, Shell rotella is a diesel engine oil. Most all diesel oils are both detergent and dispersants. All contain ash as an additive. I am not sure from your post if your using an aviation engine (lycom,Cont) or something other. If something other than you could use the rotella. I am in the oil industry don't recommend any synthetic oil in aviation engines until the lead is removed from Low lead, which really has a lot of lead in it. Read all the information on Moblie 1 in aviation engine it all applies. That is why both Exxon and Shell are synthetic blends. Exxon is I think 50% synthetic and Shell 75%. You need the petroleum help scavenge lead away.I found your original post and I would not use any auto/diesel oils with LL. The problem is the FUEL.

Our engine is an LS376/480. Royal Purple, along with Amsoil and a few other companies were contacted. They all replied that in an auto engine, burning leaded fuel, their synthetic oils would be 100% compatible, and would work just fine. No...I did not mention the word "aircraft".

There are many different opinions on oil. Here is a bit more background.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=76408

http://eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

The second reference has a section near the beginning that defines oil terms that is especially useful. Later it has oil recommendations that are good reading, although not everyone will agree with all of them.

Erich

The above is certainly interesting. Perhaps we should more closely define our application, as in my case, and maybe others, using an automotive engine vs. a traditional aircraft engine.

I have read reports from pilots here (and on other forums) using synthetic oil with an automotive engine in the aircraft, and burning 100LL exclusively with zero problems.

Back