What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the difference?

Plummit

Well Known Member
I run the 796 Portable with the GDL39-3D as a back-up and to give me ADSB IN until I get my RV upgraded. I see that the GDL 52 is now offered, but why? What does it do that the 39-3D doesn't do?

-Marc

Hi Marc,

The GDL-52 receives SiriusXM Aviation satellite weather and digital audio entertainment. The GDL-39 cant receive XM music. Other than that there isn't much difference. I dont subscribe to XM so my GDL-39 3D fits the bill. I can still listen to music from my iPhone via bluetooth.

I owned a Stratus 2 for a couple years, a GDL 39 for a year and now have a GDL 50 which is the no XM version. In my experience, there is a world of difference between the 39 and the 50. The GDL 50 is very stable, very consistent, very accurate as was the Stratus 2. The GDL 39 was not any of those, a rather poor attempt to match the Stratus 2. With the GDL 50 Garmin caught up with the STratus 2. It is a very good unit. Garmin says the technology in the GDL 50 is way superior to the GDL 39. They are correct.

Yes, the thread that Walt refers to is very informative. The only downside of the GDL 50 that I have found is that it is not yet compatible with ForeFlight. However, the Foreflight people at Sun N Fun said compatibility with the GDL 5xx units had to be by far the most requested thing they heard at the show. I expect they will respond with a solution.

Hmmmm,

I owned a Stratus 2 for a couple years, a GDL 39 for a year and now have a GDL 50 which is the no XM version. In my experience, there is a world of difference between the 39 and the 50. The GDL 50 is very stable, very consistent, very accurate as was the Stratus 2. The GDL 39 was not any of those, a rather poor attempt to match the Stratus 2. With the GDL 50 Garmin caught up with the STratus 2. It is a very good unit. Garmin says the technology in the GDL 50 is way superior to the GDL 39. They are correct.

Interesting observation. My GDL 39 3D has been rock solid over the past 3 years. My recommendation would be unless your 39 isn?t working or you want SiriusXM not to bother with an upgrade.

And an important note. The newer GDL 5XX series is not compatible with the GPSMAP 696. But the GDL 39 is. So if you use a 696 no 5 series for you. Thus far Garmin says the new ADS-B portable 5XX series is only compatible with the Garmin Pilot app, the G3X system, the aera 795/796, the aera 660 and the FltPlan Go app. But not the GPSMAP 696.

Jim

Interesting observation. My GDL 39 3D has been rock solid over the past 3 years. My recommendation would be unless your 39 isn?t working or you want SiriusXM not to bother with an upgrade.

I have to agree with Auburntsts. My GDL-39 3D has worked flawlessly for about 2 years with my Aera 660. I have no need for XM and wont replace it until it dies.

You can probably pick up the GDL-39 for a great price with all the new versions out.

Shawn

Back