What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Tach Transducer

Louavul

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed Van's tach transducer with the angled oil filter adapter?

I don't know what the transducer looks like but, suspect it screws right on to the assy case fitting. Suspecting that might be too close fit with the adapter.

Van's offers the transducer with an extension cable for installations that have a vacuum pump installed. I don't or won't but, my arrangement seems that I may have the same issue with a different part.

Don't want to run a "speedometer" cable to a remote location if I don't need to.

Thanks,

P1010044.jpg

Tach sender modification

I had a clearance problem due to vac pad mounted B&C SD-8 alternator. Like you, I wasn't excited about a cable going to the firewall. So I fabricated an aluminum extension tube to locate the sensor so it cleared the conflict. Then modified a cable for appropriate length. I worked perfect, but I don' need it now since Pmag signal goes to the EI commander.

I planned to give it to a good home that can use it. I also have a Vans tach ( free) and an MGL digital I don't need. I can send demensions and picks of the sender if you are interested. FWIW, the B&C OFA would not clear the motor mount tube on my -3 with conical mount 0320, so I had to custom fabricate an OFA that works. Send email address if you want pursue the tach extender.
[email protected]

I had the same problem. There's enough material on the oil filter adapter to releive it enough for it to fit. I have a 3/4" spacer on mine to clear the engine mount. (RV6)

Buy the 12" flexible cable extension from Vans. Attach the tach transducer to a nearby engine mount tube using a mount/bracket of your own design.
Install the cable extension to the accessory case before installing the oil filter adapter.

Back