What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alt belt

6 Gun

Well Known Member
Taking my prop off soon to paint and replacing alt belt any idea on the best belt brand ?
Bob

See other thread

There is another active thread on getting stranded. Someone came up with the idea of ty wrapping on a spare belt so if you lose a belt off site the spare can be slipped on. May be I would also put fire sleeve around the spare to keep it from being weathered?? Have look at the thread; there are a lot of smart people out there.

Me too.

Yep, Gates "Green Label". And yes, buy two and "tie,tie" second one behind the flywheel so it will be there if you need it on the road some day. Don't ask how I know. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

If that spare belt comes loose watch out... my 2c, just replace the thing every 5 or so years and you'll never have to worry about it.
At the same time it gives you a chance to clean out all the sludge in the crank bore.

Last edited:
I'm with Walt and have never tied up an alternator belt behind the flywheel. I see many that do, and they end up looking all dried up and cracked. Modern brand-name alternator belts with proper tension and alignment will give many years/hours of troublefree use on an aircraft. Replacement every 5 years is not really that hard. Besides, with all of the glass cockpits now, I'd rather bet on the second alternator working when I really need it. Kind of hard to replace that belt while airborne. :)

Vic

Alt Alt Belt

Several of the locals are using adjustable-length V-belting - McMaster-Carr (who else?). These belts are made up from modular pieces - they can be installed without removing the prop. Just a thought.

HFS

Nearly 18 years ago my local auto parts guru sold me a Gates belt that is designed for a power takeoff on a commercial lawn mower. That belt has been in service on my RV-6 ever since. I look at it carefully each condition inspection but the thing still looks pristine. I suspect it is designed for much harsher operating conditions than the typical alternator belt.

My plane is flown in VFR conditions only.

Last edited:
Back