What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phillips preservative oil

tim2542

Well Known Member
So a friend bought a "box-O-parts" engine kit 3 years ago and thought to preserve the parts in Phillips preservative oil. He coated the parts in the Phillps product, placed them in a sealed plastic container along with some desiccant and left them until recently. In the pic below you can see what the cam now looks like. This is not rust, but some kind of goo that formed only in locations where the part was submerged in the Phillips product.
It does clean up with various solvents he's been experimenting with and lots of elbow grease.
He called Phillips and was able to talk to tech support who told him the product is not meant for long term storage, longer than a year evidently (contrary to the product tech sheet) and that the goo was the result of fatty acids in the oil reacting with air/moisture. He apologized for the poor result, and no damage was done other than loss of time. But I have to wonder what this stuff would look like in an assembled engine after a year or three.
Anyone ever seen this?
Tim Andres
image_zpsuvjyljpz.jpeg

I used Phillips Anti-Rust (1 Gallon + 3 Quarts X/C) in my engine over winter in Pennsylvania. I flew the airplane about 10-hours over 3-months then changed the oil to X/C. Have flown about 100-hours since I drained the Phillips Anti-Rust. I am happy with the results I have had with it for flying storage over the Pennsylvania winter.

Unless I move to a warm climate before winter, I will be using Phillips Anit-Rust oil again this winter.

By comparison, our engine was pickled 10 years ago with Shell's storage oil - filled to brimming, using a little more than 5 gallons of oil. I drained the oil a few weeks ago and looked inside the areas accessible via borescope. The engine looks shiny and new inside. (Whew, what a relief to discover no rust!)

Back