What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Slime Fighter

BonitaRV8

I?m getting ready to add an oil breather to the engine on the RV8 and was wondering if anyone has used/tried the Airflow Systems Super Slime Fighter oil breather available from Aircraft Spruce. It doesn't have a return line and the condensed oil is supposed to flow back the same breather line into the engine. It would eliminate the need to run a dedicated return line but I'm not sure if it works like advertised. Any reviews on this would be appreciated.

The basic idea with the slimefighter, as with other air/oil separators, is to slow the breather air velocity and provide a medium for oil to condense on. Note that the oil ejected out the breather is not "vapor", but is rather droplets suspended in the gaseous stream. They simply need a place to slow down, get to know each other, and coalesce. Smokey gave a great review of the slime fighter if you search the forums so I'd venture it's pretty solid.

However, after looking at it I couldn't see paying that price for it so I rolled my own. It changed my oil usage a little bit, going from 8hrs/qt to 10hrs/qt and left the belly pretty much free of oily residue at positive G and even absorbs the occasional negative G excursion without spilling stuff out. It is *not* an inverted system by any means and will allow oil on the belly with more than a second or so of negative G.

24180650251_205de941bd.jpg

The breather inlet at the base goes into the body of the unit, while the breather outlet is a "stove pipe" that goes up through the center of the unit to the top. The open space is filled with stainless steel scouring pads. This provides the surface area for the oil to coalesce and drain back out the bottom into the engine.

There are several obvious improvements that could be made but it's easy enough to make. I think total cost was like $8 for the materials.

Back