Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
I already have a GDL 82 installed with an antenna. I was wondering if I could reuse the existing GDL 82 antenna for the 355 and then use the 335 as a position source for the GDL 82? That way I would only need one GPS antenna?

If this is possible, what is the interface between the 355 and GDL 82?

Thanks!
Should be doable. The GDL82 will accept input from an external GPS source like the GNC355. You need to check the model number of your GPS antenna to see if it is valid for the GNC355.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
I already have a GDL 82 installed with an antenna. I was wondering if I could reuse the existing GDL 82 antenna for the 355 and then use the 335 as a position source for the GDL 82? That way I would only need one GPS antenna?

If this is possible, what is the interface between the 355 and GDL 82?

Thanks!
Hello Mike,

The latest version of the GDL 82 installation manual provides configuration and wiring guidance for connecting the RS-232 and PPS signals from the GPS 175 or GNC 355 to the GDL 82 should you wish to use one of these as the GPS data source.

You have probably already thought about this, but your GDL 82 comes with a built-in GPS receiver that allows it to be an ADS-B Out device that is not dependent on any external sources of GPS data. This is a nice feature to know that even should the external navigator fail or be removed for service, you would still retain ADS-B Out capability. If you take the GPS antenna away from the GDL 82, you lose that independence. I suppose, in a pinch, you could move the antenna back to the GDL 82.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys. That confirms what I was thinking. Appreciate the feedback
1952 Cessna 170B
1947 Aeronca Chief
Old 01-05-2020, 07:53 PM

What is the difference between the GNC 355 and the GTN 635 GPS/COM?

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop
Old 01-05-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotjim77 View Post
The GNC 355 has a bit more modern intetface and software. The GTN 635 is certified to a higher level of accuracy. For example, the GNC 355 cannot be installed in turbine aircraft while the GTN 635 can. I thought the GNC 355 was going to be great for single engine aerial tankers (fire bombers) like the Air Tractor 802 series until I discovered the piston engine limitation. Bummer.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 AM

Default GNC 355 vs. GTN 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotjim77 View Post
Jim,

Both the GTN Series Navigators and the GNC 355 are certified to the same TSO requirements for IFR Navigation.

There are some feature limitations on the GNC 355 relative to the GTN Series Navigators. The GTN Series has the ability to interface to a GSR 56 Iridium Satellite Datalink and GDL 69 Sirius XM Datalink for example. TAWS, Search and Rescue, and NVIS Capabilities are not available on the GNC 355 as they are on the GTN Series. The GNC 355 has VCALC rather than enroute VNAV capabilities. Note: This only applies to enroute VNAV, vertical guidance on approach is readily available on both series. The GNC 355 also cannot be interfaced to a Stormscope or Fuel Sensors. There is no ability for Flightplan Crossfill or Database Sync between two Navigators using the GNC 355.

Perhaps more relevant to EAB aircraft is the lack of the ability to remotely control a Remote Transponder as the GTN Series can. The G3X Touch usually handles this function however.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Jim,

Both the GTN Series Navigators and the GNC 355 are certified to the same TSO requirements for IFR Navigation.

There are some feature limitations on the GNC 355 relative to the GTN Series Navigators. The GTN Series has the ability to interface to a GSR 56 Iridium Satellite Datalink and GDL 69 Sirius XM Datalink for example. TAWS, Search and Rescue, and NVIS Capabilities are not available on the GNC 355 as they are on the GTN Series. The GNC 355 has VCALC rather than enroute VNAV capabilities. Note: This only applies to enroute VNAV, vertical guidance on approach is readily available on both series. The GNC 355 also cannot be interfaced to a Stormscope or Fuel Sensors. There is no ability for Flightplan Crossfill or Database Sync between two Navigators using the GNC 355.

Perhaps more relevant to EAB aircraft is the lack of the ability to remotely control a Remote Transponder as the GTN Series can. The G3X Touch usually handles this function however.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Thanks, Justin! Great, informative answer. Seems like the GTN would be overkill with the extra cost for my purpose. However, I would love a GNC level unit with Nav capability, like the GTN 650. Any chance of something like that?

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop