What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forming Rudder Lap joint

Mikeandmaz

I?ve seen from another builders blog that forming the Rudder leading Edge lap joint bend is quite difficult if done as per the plans. So I thought I?d do the bend before I start riveting it all together. In Section 5.10 it states the bend should be about 1/4 inch in. This would put the bend through the holes on this occasion, so would I be right in assuming the bend needs to be closer to the edge in this case?
Apologies for such a mundane question, I?ll try for a better one next time.

Mike

Yes I guess that?s another name for it. Just wanted to know if there was a minimum distance from edge. As plans recommend 1/4 inch and that would put it through the holes.

Understand - I just ran the edge roller over the holes and didn't think about it too much. You may want to check with Van's as I wouldn't want you to think I'm an expert. The tool does about 1/4" as well.

Yes I guess that?s another name for it. Just wanted to know if there was a minimum distance from edge. As plans recommend 1/4 inch and that would put it through the holes.

Through the holes is actually the ideal position for a break bend line.

At the rudder leading edge you're using pop rivets so this piece of advice doesn't really apply. However, when you're putting in an edge break near dimpled holes (think rudder trailing edge), do the break before you dimple.

I did it after and I had a hard time getting the roller tool past each dimple. After I finished I had to re-dimple all of the holes because it flatted them slightly. In the end it worked, but save yourself the extra effort and do the break *before* dimpling.

Back