What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking to build a RV-10 anyone near Bakersfield CA

build2fly

I'm New Here
I'm new to this so if my breaking 15 rules and posting in the wrong spot. please guide me to the light.

I'm from Bakersfield CA I'm looking at possibly building an RV10 but I haven't been in one yet. I currently fly a RV6A so I already have the RV grin but have this drive to build one.

I want to sit in one maybe even help someone for a few days in the shop drive some rivets. Just looking to get more information before I drive my play money right off the cliff for the next 4-6 years.

Thanks for the help

Welcome to VAF!

I'm new to this so if my breaking 15 rules and posting in the wrong spot. please guide me to the light.

Adrian, welcome aboard the good ship VAF. :D

The is a 10 in Fresno at the skypark-------not sure of any others, but I suspect they are around.

Have you looked at the VAF White Pages?? Might find someone that way. http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

Or, jump in that 6a of yours and fly up here to O61 and I will show you ours.

Thank you for the offer

Adrian, welcome aboard the good ship VAF. :D

The is a 10 in Fresno at the skypark-------not sure of any others, but I suspect they are around.

Have you looked at the VAF White Pages?? Might find someone that way. http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

Or, jump in that 6a of yours and fly up here to O61 and I will show you ours.

Haven't found the white pages yet so let me look at that. I may have to take you up on that offer. I fly up north a few times a year going to Santa Rosa and Lake Tahoe/ Reno area.

So far I'm impressed how helpful and open everyone is on VAF. I think its because we suffer from the same disease.

RV-10 in Visalia

I've got an RV-10 that I finished two years ago here in Visalia that I'd be happy to show to you. I've now got 220 hours on it. Call me at 559 901-5910

Lee Otto

Welcome to VAF!

Lee,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Me Too!

Okay,

I've gone and done it:
Only child is off to college this fall, so... Cleaned out the garage, have the boat up for sale, ordered some tools (based on the excellent suggestions of VAF members here), and Van's practice kits.

30 years after buying the plans for an RV-4, I'm finally getting started:

I'm building an RV-10 here in Bakersfield!

Build2Fly: Still considering the RV-10? Like to get together and talk about it?...

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!

William, welcome to VAF.

Wow, three new folks in one thread----a new record???

Have you ever been to the Rocket Shop Cafe at the muni airport?? Most likely find RV folks there, I suspect. http://www.rocketshopcafe.com/

Last edited:
William, welcome to VAF.

Wow, three new folks in one thread----a new record???

Have you ever been to the Rocket Shop Cafe at the muni airport?? Most likely find RV folks there, I suspect. http://www.rocketshopcafe.com/

Yes, I used to hang out when it was "Alice's at the Airpark." in fact my flight instructors (back in 1985) were Bob and Cal Baker. (I believe Bob built one of the first "Bakersfield" RV-3's when the local EAA chapter was very active).

I bought the plans for the RV-4 right after I got my PPL in '86, but between getting married, attending graduate school, raising a daughter, etc., it got put on the back burner,... kinda indefinitely...

Lately, at work I've been running into more and more people who are working on instrument ratings, getting commercial licenses, or looking to partner in a plane. I haven't been current in YEARS, but started thinking about those old RV-4 plans...

When I starting looking around and saw that Van had finally designed a 4-Place RV; that did it for me!

Time to Build!

[PS: Mike, I've always gone by my middle name: 'Chris.' I reserve 'William' for official business and telemarketers...]

Last edited:
I want to sit in one maybe even help someone for a few days in the shop drive some rivets. Just looking to get more information before I drive my play money right off the cliff for the next 4-6 years.

Thanks for the help

I'm a little South of you in Long Beach so we could hook up for an intro easily enough. I'm doing an annual this week but will be back in the air by Friday. PM or email.

-Marc

I've got an RV-10 that I finished two years ago here in Visalia that I'd be happy to show to you. I've now got 220 hours on it. Call me at 559 901-5910

Lee Otto

Lee,

Are you by any chance coming to the EAA Chapter 71 Fly-In at Bakersfield Municipal this Saturday?

I've seen plenty of RV-3's, 4's, 7's and 9's in person, but would love to see an RV-10 in person. :D

The RV-10 Hobbs Meter just ticked up by one...

It's official:

Ordered my Empennage/TailCone Kit today.

I have set my foot upon the path... :eek:

Over the hill from you....

Hi Chris and great news you have made the move on the kit! Like all the RV kits, the 10 pieces are fun to assemble. I am building a 10 over the hill from you at KIYK. Finish kit arriving in early August so finishing up fuselage kit now. If you are ever going East please feel free to drop in anytime, just about done banging most of the rivets, but always welcome help, a look over the shoulder, and/or visits to the shop. Cheers and have fun in your in newest family adventure, Mike Wright.

Mike,

Thanks for the invite; I'm sure I'll be doing some serious cross-country touring once she's done.

I don't envy you getting your finishing kit; I'm looking forward to 'banging rivets' and assembling the structure, but the 'finishing' choices (avionics, engine, instrumentation, etc.) seem pretty overwhelming. It's nice to start with the empennage, the only real decisions to be made are taillights and rudder trim. Hopefully, that will give me time to settle on all the other bling...

BTW, for (the other) Mike (Rettig): I appreciated your suggestion for the Stanley parts organizers; they look like they will work perfectly. I have them on order along with a P-Touch for labeling. Hopefully they will be ready by the time the tail kit arrives.

I will post photos of my Workshop on 'Day Zero'...

Last edited:
Keep your head down.

I too am working on the fuselage, about midway through - not ready for the finish kit quite yet.

Still haven't made the decision on lights and rudder trim if that helps ease your brain cramp any. Most of the 'churn' you experience about the enormity of this project can be put to rest if you stick to the task in front of you and just keep moving forward. Not saying there aren't forks in the road, but there aren't many that can't be reversed with ease in the future.

Of course this is easier said than done. My free time is usually spent researching something about the plane. :eek:

Back