What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick to Yoke Mod (Random Thought)

pilotian

Well Known Member
As I have began to look at Aircraft Spruce for the first time really I have began to day dream about all the stuff I want to put on the airplane in the future. It is quite easy to get lost on that site with all the stuff they have!

So after I looked at all the avialable plans for all the different experimental aircraft out there! I began to look at the different sticks you can have. From plain n simple to wooden, to fighter like there is a stick for you. But then I got to thinking and researching.

Has anyone ever seen a modification done to the design of an RV (at best I see someone doing it to an RV-10 or 7... but an 8 thatd be scary) to somehow incorporate a yoke instead of a stick? I don't know why someone would want that but I was just pondering weird things!

PLEASE KNOW I DONT PLAN ON ANY SUCH THING JUST A THOUGHT! :eek::eek:

pictures would rock....

I haven't seen anybody build with the idea of a yoke control. Flying a stick is a very natural feel, and a yoke mod would incorporate a variety of cables, pullies, etc. I have hopped back and forth between stick control/yoke control planes, and it is an almost thoughtless transition between the two. I have never flown a left-handed stick control, but I hear it is also a no-brainer.

It would probably be less mechanically to build it similar to WWII bombers, where the yoke would come up from the floor. Theoritically speaking of course.

how many variations are there????

I often wonder, after kicking the stick on my way in & out of the cockpit, how or where would be a better location. What first comes to mind is the Chris Heintz style stick, where there is one central stick, with 2 handles projecting from either side....which becomes a bit like a hybrid side-stick control. ( never actually used one; where do you rest your forearm?).
My memory fogs up a lot, but I vaguely recall flying a Robin or something that had a stick grip, but on the end of a torque tube that projected from the dash. it was actually pretty good, natural to use, but never in the way. OR is it the Swift that I'm thinkin of????

Has anyone ever seen a modification done to the design of an RV (at best I see someone doing it to an RV-10 or 7... but an 8 thatd be scary) to somehow incorporate a yoke instead of a stick?

Hush your mouth young man, thou shalt not swear in the Vans church ;)

The problem with a cessna-style yoke on an RV is that the controls would have to be routed around or though the main spar. If properly planned out I don't think it would be all that difficult to do. I can't think of a good reason to do it, but it would be interesting to see.

On a side note, the RV seems like it would be a good candidate for side-stick controls given the light control input forces required to fly. Most of the complaints I have see with side-stick planes is high control forces.

On a side note, the RV seems like it would be a good candidate for side-stick controls given the light control input forces required to fly. Most of the complaints I have see with side-stick planes is high control forces.

Now that is what I call good thinking! It would make an RV-8 even more like a fighter jet ay! Also cost a good deal of money..... But good thinking.

Hush your mouth young man, thou shalt not swear in the Vans church ;)

Never plan to, I like the stick. Please forgive me for my sins father! :D

How about a Spitfire control yoke?

So, I think this would be cool enough to be allowed in the RV community, and it would not be that hard to do.

Take a look at a Supermarine Spitfire. The stick moves fore and aft for elevator control. At the top of the stick is a sort of heart-shaped hoop that pivots on the end of the stick and forms a yoke for aileron control. On the Spit' the trigger button for the guns is right at the top of the yoke. So that would be your push-to-talk. The pivot for the yoke would operate a pushrod that would follow the stick down to a bellcrank that would then drive the ailerons. A couple of ways to do that elegantly through the spar carrythrough.

Anyway, just a fun thought in the spirit of your wonderings.

Yoke? Cool!

Three words?

Fly-by-wire

(Then you can fly with your iPhone!)

Siri: Take me to San Diego!

Yeah Baby!

Dkb

:eek:

Last edited:
Three words?

Fly-by-wire

(Then you can fly with your iPhone!)

Siri: Take me to San Diego!

Yeah Baby!

Dkb

Watch what you say! It won't be long (if not already) that some web dev pilot is toying with that idea.... I know I am :D Im sure it can be easily done!

Something else...

I'm not really into FBW. :rolleyes: I want an auto-throttle attached to the autopilot!

Zero-Zero landings! :D

"Either you are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge, or you are unaware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a pool table in your community!"

Watch what you say! It won't be long (if not already) that some web dev pilot is toying with that idea.... I know I am :D Im sure it can be easily done!

<?php

class ElevatorController extends Controller {

public function pitchUp ($factor = 1) {
}
}

Back