What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P51-8

I've seen an empennage fairing on a 3 that looks like that. It's problematic on an 8 though, since the canopy slides all of the way back to the stock VS.

Dorsal fin would interfere with canopy

As stated before I know those long 8 canopies need all of the room to slide back and expose the rear seat. Russell Sherwood installed a Subaru engine in his Glasair I RG
IMG_4878.jpg

The airplane is exceptionally fast and the radiator scoop is fully functional.

I see no good reason to do this on a Lycoming powered RV-8 eapecially in view of the fact that Reno racers are going to great lengths to remove them in an effort to reduce drag.

You could do more extensive work like make it a single seater, install a RV-3 canopy and retractable gear. Then the dorsal fin would work. Maybe you should consider one of the reduced scale Mustang kits like the T-51. I don't think the Thunder Mustang is available anymore.

Bob Axsom

I've seen an empennage fairing on a 3 that looks like that. It's problematic on an 8 though, since the canopy slides all of the way back to the stock VS.

Use a Show Planes canopy, tip over doesnt need any room to the aft.

You'll need the exhaust to come out of the side of the cowling as well, lest your cooling not be very effective... :D

Rocket

How about a single seater with a 540 on the nose. Move the cockpit way back and make it low profile with a sloped windshield like an air-racer.:)

Guess a HRIII is already doing that job, but it's fun to dream.

FP28012009A0000H.jpg

One of the RV-4's with retractable gear has a dorsal fin and a sliding canopy. The sliding track runs down the back of the fuselage and then up the ridge of the dorsal fin, if I recall. A clever RV-8 builder might be able to size things such that the point where the track bends would just hold the canopy open aft of the pilot. Well, on the ground while taxiing, anyway.

That sketch of the -8 with the belly scoop makes it look pregnant.

Belly Scoop

Understand the belly scoop P-51 looks.

Was there any function to this mod, or just for looks?

How about a single seater with a 540 on the nose. Move the cockpit way back and make it low profile with a sloped windshield like an air-racer.:)

Guess a HRIII is already doing that job, but it's fun to dream.

FP28012009A0000H.jpg

That pretty much describes Bohanon's "Flyin' Tiger"......

Ross Farnham. (sp?)

Ross has a functional scoop under his -10, to cool the liquid of his Subie-powered airplane....otherwise, who'd want all that drag just for looks, IMO?

The unlimited -51's are now eliminating them for that reason.

Best,

Agreed on not worth the extra weight and drag for looks of the belly scoop. Besides, then you would have to add the six 50 cal guns in the wings :)

My preference would be to install a Rotec 150 hp radial on the front of an -8, complete with full cowl, and add the fastback option so it would look like a P-47.

Then, if you wanted to get real fancy, you could make rounded vertical and horizontals for it.

There is one!

The rotac radial on an RV8 would be nice and sound wonderful.

Radial Conversions is doing an -8 with a Rotec radial and the forward fuselage and cowl plug mold is done:

RadialRV-8.jpg

They have now done the new firewall as well, shaped to match the radial forward plug.

Best,

Add an all aluminum Chevy V8 to the front, make the scoop functional, have Catto make a 4 blade prop, add an EVO wing with the retracts in it that F1 is working on.

518b.jpg

Last edited:
Clarification: The bad thing about the RV8 guns would be weight. Remember the term, "the whole nine yards.". That referred to the max of belt fed 50 caliber ammo that could be carried if no additional fuel tanks or bombs were added.

Radial powered RV-8

My preference would be to install a Rotec 150 hp radial on the front of an -8, complete with full cowl, and add the fastback option so it would look like a P-47.

Then, if you wanted to get real fancy, you could make rounded vertical and horizontals for it.

You can follow my progress on the radial RV-8 here http://www.facebook.com/radialconversions.

I was planning on a conversion kit, but life has its twists and turns and I will no longer be planning on providing a kit in the near future. If anyone has questions on the project I would be glad to answer them.

All the best,
Brian Kelly

You can follow my progress on the radial RV-8 here http://www.facebook.com/radialconversions.

I was planning on a conversion kit, but life has its twists and turns and I will no longer be planning on providing a kit in the near future. If anyone has questions on the project I would be glad to answer them.

All the best,
Brian Kelly

Brian,

I had no idea you, or anyone else, were actually building one! I can't wait to hear about your first flight!

Thanks Bill,

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the aircraft. It's going slow but steady. I'm not sure of anyone else doing a conversion. In conversations with Rotec I've been told that there was considerable interest from the RV community, but no takers except for mine so far.

Brian

Brian, does the forward fuselage on the -8 (ie. the metalwork) change for your conversion, or is it just the cowling and firewall forward? Not interested in specific details, I'm just curious how much additional work was necessary.

It would be cool if Rotec had a 200 - 220 hp option for the RV/Mid Size biplane group.

I really don't see the need for one. They are going to bump up the compression a bit and with the TBI I should be around 170 Hp. The engine weighs the same as a lycoming O-320. The thing to keep in mind with RV aircraft is weight is the absolute enemy. In our fly-in it's not uncommon for a 180hp RV to out run a 200hp model.

Back