What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checking the oil filter

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Changed the oil on my 320 hour IO-360 M1B a little late this time because I flew up to Massachusetts to visit my mother and that put a total of 15 hours on the tach (video of the ride back).

But it gave me a chance to try out the new oil filter cutter, creating an oily mess all over the place. Eventually, I cut the paper out and found this. Two flecks in this picture. I'm not sure what they are, nor am I sure these didn't come off my workbench as I fumbled around.

IMAG0001.jpg

I don't know what they are, but a magnet didn't pick them up, for what it's worth. The oil screen is clean.

Is this unusual?

It has my attention because my attempt to do a compression check on the #3 came in at 71/80, which is far below at the condition inspection in January. However, it's possible I wasn't doing it right. We'll doublecheck it this week.

Bob, it's very easy to get paint shards from cutting the filter can as well. One needs a microscope to really tell if they are metal or paint.

Charlie,

I always "heard" --- if the piece was not large enough to read the part number, you were good to go!!

Ron

Overhaul in progress

This is a popular quip, but when you find gear teeth in the screen you'll go looking for the source...;)
My engine is in 5 different locations across two states. I just drove the case and crank plus steel parts up to Tulsa today. Dropped off the cylinders at Sal's in Prosper. Now wait a month to get it all back. BTW the cause was a failed dowel in the center main bearing. The bearing didn't spin but the little piece of dowel did a number on the bearing.

Changed the oil on my 320 hour IO-360 M1B a little late this time because I flew up to Massachusetts to visit my mother and that put a total of 15 hours on the tach (video of the ride back).

But it gave me a chance to try out the new oil filter cutter, creating an oily mess all over the place. Eventually, I cut the paper out and found this. Two flecks in this picture. I'm not sure what they are, nor am I sure these didn't come off my workbench as I fumbled around.

IMAG0001.jpg

I don't know what they are, but a magnet didn't pick them up, for what it's worth. The oil screen is clean.

Is this unusual?

It has my attention because my attempt to do a compression check on the #3 came in at 71/80, which is far below at the condition inspection in January. However, it's possible I wasn't doing it right. We'll doublecheck it this week.

I just ended up doing new piston pins on a newly o/h'ed 320 due to alum flakes. In my case, they were from the piston pin plugs. I had a lot of small flakes. These flakes were very thin and somewhat round or square in shape. Most were 10-20 thousands and a few were 100 thou. They were too small to check with a magnet as the surface tension of oil causes it to stick to the magnet. I put a couple flakes in muriatic acid. If Alum, once the acid gets past the oil, the flake will begin to fizz and slowly disintegrate. With steel or bronze, the acid won't do anything.

I had Way more Alum than you are showing and when I tore it down, the pins had no significant wear. It is common to get small amounts of alum flakes like this from the piston pin plugs. If they are ferrous metal, it would be wise to keep an eye out for increased production.

Larry

Back