What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inboard aileron hinge play: concern?

grayforge

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I'll be sending an email to Vans as well, but thought I'd check opinions here too.

I have a tiny bit of play in the inboard aileron hinge/bearing. I imagine it's the bearing shifting slightly in the sandwiched aluminum sheets that form the hinge. The movement isn't a lot, but you can just see and hear it (so maybe 1/64 or so). Photo below.

One thought I had was to drill out the 2 rivets holding the top of the hinge plates together, pry apart slightly and drip some Loc-Tite onto the bearing to fill the space (trying not to get it in the bearing).

Thoughts on if this is anything to worry about and if so, fixes?

I wish I had noticed this when I first built the hinge. Now the fix (if needed) will be a lot more involved.

Thanks!
Russ

The offending hinge:
DSC00040.JPG

It's the bearing shifting in the cavity of the sandwiched aluminum sheet hinge bracket, not the steel hinge bracket that's part of the aileron.

In retrospect, I may not have been clear enough, the play is up & down, not side to side.

Thanks,
Russ

I'm interested in what Vans will say.

IF Vans thinks Loctite could work to fill the void and lock the bearing in place, you might consider drilling a very small hole at the seam of the two halves into the void and forcing the loctite into the area. I don't know that you could pry the two halves apart without doing damage.

Is the bearing actually moving inside the plates, or is there play in the bearing itself?

Last edited:
Nate, a buddy of mine had the exact same idea. Great minds... I imagine Vans has heard this one before and has a standard solution.

I think the bearing is moving in the plates, but I'll go out and confirm.

Thanks,
Russ

May not be related

When I was building up my hinge bracket I had an issue.

I chose to back rivet the two plates together. I wasn't careful and didn't see the at the spherical bearing protrudes past the flush side of the plate. When I back riveted it I realized I may have damaged the bearing creating additional play within the bearing. I replace the spherical bearing just in case.

If you back riveted the two plates and did what I wished I hadn't then you might have internal play in the bearing not external.

Just thought I would mention it.

When I riveted my hinge bracket together, I used a rivet squeezer, so no undue stress on the bearing.

I just got back in from the garage. I put a bolt through the bearing and applied up & down force. The bearing is, in fact, moving in the hinge bracket. No play in the bearing itself.

Thanks,
Russ

Loose bearing

Looks like you primed one of the bearing mount sides, this will create space for the bearing instead of preload.

Hmmm... good point. Maybe this is an area where one should not prime mating surfaces?

Thanks,
Russ

Loctite

I had this same problem on my -4. There is a special Loctite made just for this application. I think the one you want is 603 but don't hold me to that. I know it was green. I made that repair at least 350 flight hours ago and it is still going strong.

I had this same problem on my -4. There is a special Loctite made just for this application. I think the one you want is 603 but don't hold me to that. I know it was green. I made that repair at least 350 flight hours ago and it is still going strong.

Charlie, what steps did you take to make the repair?

cguarino,

I'd like to know the steps as well. IE, how to get the loc-tite in there without getting it into the bearing.

I heard back from Vans. They recommended Red Loc-tite. They didn't think drilling a hole would be very easy, but that drilling out the upper 2 rivets and gently spreading the bracket halves apart might work.

Russ

Back