What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-mag run-up and yearly inspection

N941WR

Legacy Member
A little back story first: I have dual P-mags, am one of the principles with EICommander, and have my P-mags wired so that I can force them to run off of their internal power due to a three way switch I have installed on each P-mag.

A few weeks back I was running some errands with the -9 and during the last run-up, my engine just died when performing the run-up while forcing the left P-mag to run off of internal power.

The P-mag ran just fine off of ship's power (same as an early E-mag) and the other P-mag's internal generator worked fine. The ignition was operating normally and EICommander never picked up any anomalies. The only way I knew there was a problem was because I could turn off ship's power during the run-up.

Both P-mags were removed and when turning the shaft on the left one you could hear some light grinding noise and it was slightly harder to turn then the functioning right P-mag. Total time on both P-mags was 500.9 hours.

Both P-mags were shipped back to E-mag Ignitions and they were returned four days later. I told E-mag I was in no hurry, so no rush. The defective P-mag was repaired, the functioning one was inspected, and both were cleaned prior to their return.

Total cost of the repair was $38.00.

Why did this P-mag fail? I have no idea but these P-mags were in the old engine when I had a catastrophic prop strike. They were sent back for inspection at that time and nothing unusual was noted at that time.

Searching this forum, I only found one other instance of a similar problem.

Lessons learned for all of you running P-mags:
1. Turn off power to your P-mags prior to flight to verify the internal generator is functioning properly.

2. Every condition inspection, remove your P-mags and inspect them. The inspection should seeing of the shaft wiggles or grinds when turned.

What are you using for gaskets on your PMags? I need to inspect mine, but want to make sure I have the right consummables around before I do it.

What are you using for gaskets on your PMags? I need to inspect mine, but want to make sure I have the right consummables around before I do it.

"LW12681 Lyc Mag Gasket" and then I cover them in fuel lube. You will also need some new star washers. The torque value for the nuts is 204 In-lbs / 17 Ft-lbs.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill! As great as the P-Mags are, they are NOT invincible. Yours is a good reminder to follow Emagair's periodic maintenance recommendations. Which I confess, have not. But will start.

I had the same failure

I had the exact same failure a couple of years ago. The magnets came loose and disintegrated. Ran fine, just wouldn't make it's own power. I check that they are self generating every other flight or so. I'm not sure but I think Tom outputs the internal generator voltage on the data out. If he does, it should be a simple software update EiCommander.

I had the exact same failure a couple of years ago. The magnets came loose and disintegrated. Ran fine, just wouldn't make it's own power. I check that they are self generating every other flight or so. I'm not sure but I think Tom outputs the internal generator voltage on the data out. If he does, it should be a simple software update EiCommander.

The P-mag does report a voltage and the EICommander does display it. The problem is that the voltage they output is the voltage the board sees and there is no way to tell where that voltage is coming from.

Back