What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 and APRS

cguarino

Well Known Member
Has anyone figured out how to display APRS tracks on a Garmin 696? I want to hook up a tracker like this one to a 696 and display other flight members that are transmitting APRS. If not, does anyone know of a good Android/Win/Iphone app to do the same thing. I would prefer the 696 solution but will settle for the phone/tablet app. This system will obviously have to work off of the cell network. Thanks.

70 views but no replies. Is it really that hard to do?

Actually....it is. Not even sure if it is possible to display APRS beacons on the 696. But maybe someone really geeky can figure it out.

The phone/tablet solution is pretty simple if you have solid 3G service. Just open a web browser to aprs.fi to see all the beacons being transmitted in your area. Or you can select which trackers you wish to see.

I'm not familiar with the tracker you referenced but we have many years of solid experience with the Byonics trackers:

http://byonics.com

Here is the one I recommend:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=55138

MT-RTG-1.jpg

Allen Lord is one of the developers of the Byonics devices and monitors the VAF APRS sub-forum. No need to reinvent the wheel. :)

Last edited:
The only way this could be done is to transfigured the APRS data into TIS-A format data which is the only traffic protocol that the 696 understands.

Unless you can talk Garmin into updating the firmware with custom APRS support...

This is what I was thinking

The only way this could be done is to transfigured the APRS data into TIS-A format data which is the only traffic protocol that the 696 understands.

Unless you can talk Garmin into updating the firmware with custom APRS support...

This is what I was thinking. Anyone has the Garmin proprietary TIS-A data format?

The TIS protocol spec is pretty easy to find. Tons of different manufacturers support it.

If you want inflight aprs on a map, you may want to look at connecting an Apr receiver to a Garmin Nuvi map. There are several write-ups on the internet.

FYI - I've considered aprs monitor in flight and concluded it is a distraction I can not accommodate.

Are you sure?

The TIS protocol spec is pretty easy to find. Tons of different manufacturers support it.

I heard Garmin had there own proprietary data stream. Is this not the case?

If you want inflight aprs on a map, you may want to look at connecting an Apr receiver to a Garmin Nuvi map. There are several write-ups on the internet.

FYI - I've considered aprs monitor in flight and concluded it is a distraction I can not accommodate.

This is not your everyday project. It is for a very specific situation. We need SA on other aircraft and are already flying with 696s. If we need to go to something else we will probably look for a tablet app. The 696 solution would be one less thing to carry.

Who is the best

Ok, who is the most knowledgeable person on this forum about APRS? I need some help getting pointed in the right direction on a project that is definitely aviation related although maybe not RV related. You will be helping keep America free...albeit indirectly. Thanks.

Hi Charlie - it may not help you get your ideal solution (aka integrated into the 696) but I have tested a solution that is simple.

• Nexus 7 tablet (likely any android tablet)
  • HAM radio (the cheap Pofung / Baofeng radios are $30-$40)
  • custom audio cable (2.5mm mono to 3.5mm 4-wire)
  • APRSdroid or W2APRS App for tablet

This setup will let you receive live stations and map them relative to your own location.

It will only update when the "stations" update so you "targets" will be "behind" their actual position because they are beaconing at a rate of 1 or 2 minutes.

If you only want to see a select group of targets, or wish to beacon more frequently, just pick a different frequency from the standard.

Last edited:
Pete, your solution is Soooo 2009 ! ;)

Jettison the Nuvi and the TNC and get an Android tablet :D

Truth be told, my post 3 weeks back was based on you setup :cool:

But I hack what I have and right now that's Raspberry Pi's an the Nexus 7.

Back