What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap/Aileron Trailing Edge Alignment: Good Enough?

goatflieg

Well Known Member
Just did my first test fitting of my left flap on my QB wing, with the aileron in neutral position. Nailed the gap; exactly 1/4".. and the line up looks fairly straight overall with the forward hinge half clecoed in position. The trailing edge is very slightly displaced forward... looks to be .04" (1/25th of an inch). It is visually noticeable... but for a first try this looks pretty good to me. Just wanted to get some opinions before riveting. I could always do another hinge half and try to make it perfect... but the curve in each trailing edge doesn't even match to that kind of tolerance, so I'm thinking this is ok. What do you think?
FP15032017A0007I.jpg

FP15032017A0007J.jpg

Hmmm, are you braggin', or are you complanin' ? :)

Looks like my standards are a bit too low, 'cuz that looks perfect to me!

Keep building!

Only you can make this decision. The fact that it bothers you enough to post it here makes me think that you will always know it's there. For the cost of a new hinge and a bit of time you can get this to point where you are satisfied.
Use the old hinge to lay out a few holes on the new hinge, where they "should" be. Then trial fit before drilling the rest. A long string pulled tight will help with the alignment, but at the end of the day it is what the eye sees that really matters. It will probably fly the same either way.

Last edited:
Good to go.

Just a little comment here. You may find that after you get up and flying you need to blunt or squeeze you tailing edges to take care of a heavy wing condition. You are more than good with what you have here only you will see it and it is only a distraction to your want to do a perfect job. I understand and complement you on that objective. If you have to do some adjusting after you get flying and most do. you will find your end radiuses changing this much are sometimes a little more. You have a nice tight hinge now, why drill it off and open those holes again for .04" when you may have to move it that much again anyway. You really do have a good thing going here "as Is". I used to judge aircraft at shows, this would not be anywhere close to a deduction only a well know and excepted look. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Good Enough

I would say that's good enough and unlikely to have any impact on how the plane flys. If your worried about how it looks parked remember your flaps will always be down when parked.

Not to mention, this is probably the only time in the life of your plane when these two will be in that exact position.
Do the other wing and see if you can do better, then decide!

Know that better is the enemy of good! Looks great - go with it and ease up on being perfect or you'll never finish. Don't ask how I know:)

Back