What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake screen

cguarino

Well Known Member
I just swapped out the fuel servo on my -4 and the original one had a screen over the intake. I liked it because even with the FAB it would potentially protect the engine from big objects. Problem is I somehow misplaced it. My question is this a standard part or something the original builder made up. If it is a standard part, where can I get one. If it was a builder option, I'm looking for suggestions on what type of screen to use and a source. I really liked it but I don't want to create a problem by making one with the wrong material. Thanks.

On my carbureted -4 I used a piece of metal lath over the carb inlet. Its the corrugated metal that is used for plastering.

It was not a standard part.

The vanes of the lath helped smooth the airflow into the carb and I got better mixture distribution on my cylinders.

Won't give any mixture benefit on a FI engine but its sturdy enough that you won't worry about it disintegrating and getting into the engine.

Back