What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good places to fly to WA and OR

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the area (Poulsbo, just west of Seattle), and my wife and I love to take the RV-4 on two and three day trips. Anyone know of a decent place one can fly to and NOT need a car? In other words, either it's a reasonable walk from the airport to town, or there's a B&B that will pick you up, or ???

I know, you can rent a car in a lot of places, but we prefer smaller towns and like to get away from driving for a day or two. When we were in central Texas we loved to fly to Fredericksburg. Great hotel right on the field (Hangar Hotel) and you could walk to town in a reasonable amount of time. Plenty of bars, restaurants, etc.

Love to hear any suggestions!

- Rick
N999XS

How long of a flight are you after?

Kalispell City (S27) if a good one.
Friday Harbor is another good one...
Maybe even East Sound (Orcas Island)
Camas (1W1) is my home and surely you could get a ride to downtown to Hotel/BB..

FATPNW would be a much better location for this question and would get a LOT of responses quickly.

Like theater? Ashland OR. The airport is a pretty good walk from downtown but could be done. Some hotels/B&Bs will send a van to the airport; otherwise, taxi?s are not too expensive. Once in the ?theater district?, everything is walkable. Shakespeare, modern plays, lots of good dining. Make sure to try the Marionberry pie.

Many ideas come to mind, depending on what you like to do. Outdoor activities are the thing in the NW. Try Sun River Oregon, nice walk, free bikes or free shuttle to a very nice resort, food and activities.

Flight time? Good question, as I didn't provide that in my initial post. 90 minutes or so was the goal. Ashland looks great - and looks to be within walking distance. Great idea Bob!

Friday Harbor is another great idea. We've been there but would certainly go back again. Have not been to Roche Harbor so that might be worth a try.

As far as the FATPNW site goes, I've never heard of that so I'll try that website - thanks!

Keep 'em coming!

WA fly in

Friday Harbor has best fish and chips at Happy Clam next to ferry ramp, 10 minute walk, Roche Harbor is great, Orcas is beautiful

Joseph Oregon...

...is the most beautiful place in Oregon (KJSY).
The airport is less than a mile from town and has a free airport car and free bicycles.
We also have an awesome Fly-in July 13-14th. Friday night banquet (at the airport) and Saturday morning pancake breakfast.
We have a tram to 8000' with hiking trails, artistic bronze foundries etc.

And no, I'm not with the chamber of commerce :rolleyes:

Flight time? Good question, as I didn't provide that in my initial post. 90 minutes or so was the goal. Ashland looks great - and looks to be within walking distance. Great idea Bob!

Friday Harbor is another great idea. We've been there but would certainly go back again. Have not been to Roche Harbor so that might be worth a try.

As far as the FATPNW site goes, I've never heard of that so I'll try that website - thanks!

Keep 'em coming!

FATPNW is a facebook page - join it! It's over 7000 aviation enthusiasts in the PNW sharing ideas just like this. It's also a web page at Fightsabove.org

Port Townsend - 0S9

Port Townsend had a nice restaurant when I was there a few years ago. They claim the best pies in WA. :)

Perhaps a local can tell us if it's still good?

It was also an easy place to get customs when flying in from Victoria, BC.

My parents and I went to Sun River Oregon once when I was a kid, i've always wanted to go back.

Port Townsend had a nice restaurant when I was there a few years ago. They claim the best pies in WA. :)

Perhaps a local can tell us if it's still good?

It was also an easy place to get customs when flying in from Victoria, BC.

I thought everyone flew to Jefferson County (JeffCo - 0S9 -- that's ZERO S Niner) for Pie??!! :)

Oregon starter list:

Airplane Camping (camp site style) - Nehalem Bay airport (Manzanita OR)

Flying in and staying resort style for a day or two, non-camping - Sun River

Aviation Museums - McMinneville, Hood River, Madras, Tillamook, others

Vans Aicraft factory - Aurora State Airport (take the tour if you haven't already)

Breakfast (pancakes, etc) on the first Saturday of each month at Twin Oaks (7S3) in Hillsboro, often a lot of RVs flying in. Several other similar events as well.

Lots more, but that's a starter list of places in NW Oregon anyhow!

I thought everyone flew to Jefferson County (JeffCo - 0S9 -- that's ZERO S Niner) for Pie??!! :)

Yes, but it's a long way from AZ. :)

Thanks for the ID correction, I misread the fonts off Airnav :rolleyes:

I also liked Chilliwack near Vancouver for the Canadian eh pies, I hope they are still in business.

Sisters

My parents and I went to Sun River Oregon once when I was a kid, i've always wanted to go back

Sisters (6K5) is just up the road with bikes, camping and a car. Cool town.

Bend (KBDN) is also in the neighborhood with a lot of outdoor recreation and a brewery or two.

Last edited:
Most of my trips are to Friday Harbor, Bellingham, and Bremerton. Based out of Auburn.

Slowly adding to the list with recommendations from the FATPNW crowd, however.

Good list

Oregon starter list:

Airplane Camping (camp site style) - Nehalem Bay airport (Manzanita OR)

Flying in and staying resort style for a day or two, non-camping - Sun River

Aviation Museums - McMinneville, Hood River, Madras, Tillamook, others

Vans Aicraft factory - Aurora State Airport (take the tour if you haven't already)

Breakfast (pancakes, etc) on the first Saturday of each month at Twin Oaks (7S3) in Hillsboro, often a lot of RVs flying in. Several other similar events as well.

Lots more, but that's a starter list of places in NW Oregon anyhow!

Manzanita 3S7 is closed per NOTAM for about the rest of this month, as they clear trees at the north end and improve parking and taxi way, as best as I see with a couple low slow passes.

Have been flying the RV7 out of KPWT for ten years or so. Also live in Poulsbo. Really like Pt Townsend & Friday Harbor but often do day trips further and have discovered that UBER is the best friend that I can have for a lot of the smaller towns we visit. Usually by the time I've tied down and put on the canopy cover, my wife has the UBER drive sitting in the parking lot awaiting us. Fantastic.. Now if they could only provide a cold one upon request..... :)

Westport WA has a restaurant within 100 yards of the runway, and the Bremerton airport has one on the runway. Tacoma Industrial has a restaurant too. Skagit Regional also. I also like to get the courtesy car in Wenatchee and drive into town. Pendleton Oregon has the Elvis Cafe on field, and Felts Field in Spokane has a diner in the control tower (that's been a while back for me).
Auburn WA is in town, and you can walk out the gate and down Central to restaurants and the business district.
Chehalis often has the cheapest gas, and a courtesy car. It's a quick hop to cross I-5 and be in town, also, they have gate parking to the back of a huge strip mall with Home Depot, restaurants and Wallmart; also there is a golf course right next to the airport which is very fine.
Waterville has bikes you can ride into town, the Coyote cafe was very good.
These are all off the top of my head, so some verification will be required on your part, but Washington has a lot of flying destinations.
https://www.airportcourtesycars.com/washington.html
Be sure to check courtesy car lists periodically...
And of course Arlington Wa has a restaurant and a sandwich shop on field, and hosts the annual Arlington Fly-In www.arlingtonflyin.org/

Last edited:
Awesome

Great info folks! I?m definitely looking forward to some good flying this summer. I?ve never flown in such an enjoyable area as the PNW - it seems like there?s something great to see around every corner.

Hi Rick,

We are in Ashland (S03) often (7-8 times a year) and have a rental place there. Perhaps we could meet up for a fly-in and lunch nearby sometime.

WA destination

and if you're looking for a nice meal without going too far try Harvey (S43). They have some of the finest steaks around. Had an 18oz. T-bone the other day and it was outstanding. Service is good too.
I think it's called the Buzz Inn.

Spokane's Felts Field (KSFF). Skyway Cafe on the field under the tower. Also, burgers on Saturday night at the EAA 79 hangar/clubhouse, short walk from the tower, at 6pm-ish. All welcome. :)

Oregon Coast Destinations

Capt Sandy and I are fond of Pacific City (KPFC) for easy access to the beach. Current favorite place to eat in PC is The Grateful Bread. We really miss The River House. There is at least one hotel in Pacific City. Note, the runway is 1860 x 30 ft, (for 14 with displaced threshold).

One of our favorite restaurants is the Side Door Caf?. (Not just favorite "airport restaurants".) Land at Siletz Bay (S45), short walk to Highway 101, walk south a few feet to the "Do Not Pass" sign, then cross 101 and there will be a path through the brush going up hill. Very short climb to a gravel parking lot and the Side Door Caf? will be across the street on your left.

I think Salisham Spa and Golf resort will pick you up at the S45; http://www.salishan.com/

Call ahead for to confirm either the Side Door Caf? or The Grateful Bread is open. The hours change seasonally and they each close for a week or two early in the year.

Regards,

Back