What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lifting the Nose

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
I want to change the nose wheel but do not know what the best way to hold the nose off the ground is. In other planes I have tied a 5-gallon bucket to the tail tie-down and then added weight until the nose was off the ground. I am concerned about doing this as the 9A may not be stressed for this.

I have also placed sandbags on the horizontal stabilizer of other type planes but again do not know if this is the best way for the 9A.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I use a low-profile aluminum racing jack (the $75 one from Harbor Freight) under the castle nut.

Just Like You Said

I have a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot that I filled with redimix and imbedded an eyebolt in (there's a fender washer attached to the end of the bolt to anchor it in the concrete). I use an "S" hook between this and the tail tiedown. It's a perfect weight for my FP 9A. The bucket is stored on a furniture dolly. Pretty simple.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

My method...

100 lb of lead shot. Stack 50 lb on each side on the horz-spar.

Kent

If you are doing this in your own hangar;
I drilled my hangar pad for a 'red head' concrete sleeve which is permanent.
Once installed in the pad, I screw in a wing (ring) tie-down then use a piece of rope to hold the tail down :D Rosie

Engine Hoist

I just use an engine hoist on the lift bracket of the engine. Of course, you need an engine hoist handy.

Carefull!!

I just use an engine hoist on the lift bracket of the engine. Of course, you need an engine hoist handy.

I probably wouldn't do that. It's stressed to lift the engine only. I've seen two engines that got busted cases this way. :(

I use an engine hoist with a nylon lift strap around the steel engine mount tubes. Works fine - only has to lift about 300lbs.

Kevin Belue
RV-6A
RV-10

all you need is a little, big, helper!!

I always get my son to sit on a tie-down strap, shorten it up, then have him lay down. Seems to take all 160 lbs. to just balance the nose 6 or 8" off the ground.
Not ideal, but gives him a break from removing inspection covers, and some 'quality' time with Dad!:)

back at my old field, I just ratcheted the tail hook down to my rear tie-down....same idea many have suggested.
Nice to block up the firewall with a sawhorse just to stabilize things if you are crankin' on the big nut etc.

Raising the nosewheel.

Caster wheels under a 10 gallon galvenized animal water trough filled with concrete and a J-hook in the center. This will hold the tail down all day when attached to the tail tie down. Simple, lasts forever, rolls away with one hand and cheap.

Plywood capped "log cabin stack" of 2x4s and car jack

I put down a 3/4" plywood base plate a little over 1 foot square (maybe 14"), then stack 1 ft lengths of 2"x4" log cabin fashion (2 parallel to the sides, then 2 parallel to the front and rear on top of the previous ones, then 2 parallel to the sides on top of the previous ones, etc.) until you reach the desired height then cap the stack with another 3/4" plywood cap. On top of that I put a car jack that I bought at an auto parts store and on top of that I put what I want to use as an interface with the airplane structure that will distribute the load over a wide area (I actually use a 2x4 that is long enough to extend across the full width of the forward fuselage bottom) and jack it up. It is vulnerable while it is jacked up so I am careful and I get the work done right away to limit the exposure.

Bob Axsom

All are good ideas. In order to lift the nose of my 9A, I have one person ready to slide a saw horse under the nose just behind the cowling so that the weight of the airplane is resting on the sawhorse. This transfers the stress off of the tail to the support under the fuselage. Of course I am placing downward pressure on the top rear of the fueselage just in front of the tail. Comes off the ground easy! .....doesn't hurt to be 6'1" and 230lbs :D

Steve
N424JK
250+

Perfect Solution!!!!!!

...I usually get three or four (doesn't really matter how many) "Victoria Secrets Models" to hold the tail down as I work as slow as possible and enjoy the view...:rolleyes:

LIFTING THE NOSE

Now that I am flying, I find it to be very easy.

Simply tilt the head back slightly and look forward while walking past a spamcan. :D

Allen, you win the price for the most attractive tiedown system but also the most expensive!:eek: Those girls get a pretty hefty hourly rate and the divorce would add considerable cost. :D

Group Rates!!!!!!

Allen, you win the price for the most attractive tiedown system but also the most expensive!:eek: Those girls get a pretty hefty hourly rate and the divorce would add considerable cost. :D

News Flash! They now offer group rates to all A model owners when you reserve 4 or more of them at a time.
Thought I should pass this on.:D

Back