What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR

jump4way

Well Known Member
Can anyone recommend a DAR in the PHX-TUS area? I live midway between the two. I am getting close enough to completion that I would like to begin the conversation.

FAA

Can anyone recommend a DAR in the PHX-TUS area? I live midway between the two. I am getting close enough to completion that I would like to begin the conversation.

Just contact the Scottsdale MIDO (or FISDO) office. While MIDO is "in charge" they have delegated Experimental AW certification to some of the FIDO folks. One FISDO inspector seems to travel once a week to Tucson.

Good friendly response and reasonable scheduling.

Rather than rely on a DAR for final inspection, get a local trusted A&P/IA and local RV builders to do the inspection portion and leave the paperwork portion to the FAA.

The DARs in our neighborhood are few and some are way expensive - one was over $1000. :D

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the advice Gil. Is the EAA pre-Inspection packet good for getting all of the paperwork in order? Are there any consistent gotchas?

If you don't need the decals, all of the FAA info is here, including sample letters -

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/4db2c5cd655cb3cc86257647004af4ee/$FILE/AC%2020-27G.pdf

Just call the MIDO/FSDO office and get a contact. Then send the contact a preliminary copy of all of the forms. They will review and suggest corrections so they are all correct on the big AW day.

This preliminary contact can be helpful, I got my Phase I radius extended to 100 nm instead of the usual 50 nm, based on airports at differing altitudes and RV speeds.

Ted Desantis
I used him with the Zenith 750 I build and he is easy to work with. Message me and I can send you his contact info.

Don't forget ... Vans

Be sure to also contact VANS (Cynthia) for them to get you the appropriate paperwork as mentioned recently on VAF (a few days ago).

From the Mothership...

"When registering your plane with the FAA,
Blue skies, and be safe”.
Cynthia A. Schrantz
Administrative Assistant
Van's Aircraft, Inc.

Last edited:
Be sure to also contact VANS (Cynthia) for them to get you the appropriate paperwork as mentioned recently on VAF (a few days ago).

From the Mothership...

"When registering your plane with the FAA,
Blue skies, and be safe”.
Cynthia A. Schrantz
Administrative Assistant
Van's Aircraft, Inc.

Or just read the AC carefully.

Page 58 gives all of the required paperwork/aircraft items and refers to page 54, which has the box checked in the sample requiring a kit bill of sale.

This is a case were RTFM is very important. :)

RTFM

I never have been the best at RTFM.... I?ll definitely need to slow down and take my time preparing everything. Thanks for the tips.

Back