What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Recommendation

garyjk

I'm New Here
Building an rv8 and trying to decide between Trutrak Digiflight 2 VS and Dynon EFIS/2 axis. Any experiences or suggestions. Thanks.

TruTrak make good gear, no doubt, but for the number of Dynon installations I have been involved with, the performance, bang for buck and a really rock solid product offering, the Dynon is always my choice.

It might depend on what other avionics you have or intend to have.

Oshkosh is not far away, go take a look!

If you want to talk about options by PM feel free!

DB:)

Don't forget to look at the Trio offerings as well. The Pro Pilot is a great deal for all it does.

I would suggest not making a decision until you reach key milestone in your build. Avionics are changing too rapidly. In the RV-8, both servos go in the fuselage so you don't need to make a vendor decision until that part of the build. Then, wire to the panel. Once you get to the panel construction, you can decide what head-unit you like (dedicated or integrated or EFIS).

I added my AP to a finished RV-8 and it was not difficult.

A second on considering the Trio system. Great autopilot! Our second AP is a Dynon, but we haven't flown it yet (an RV-12, no choice there.) I doubt you can go wrong with any of the three. I will say Trio has exceptional service, but this is probably true across the board. The cost factor may favor Dynon or Trio.

Bob

Any thing from Tru Trak

They are proven performers. There is a rock behind the integrity, function, performance and its name is Younkin.

Bob Axsom

Almost all of the systems out there work well, and have their proponents.

The choice of autopilot will be affected by the rest of your avionics - which will be affected by your mission. Are you lookign for VFR or IFR for the airplane?

As nearly always the devil is in the details.
Do you want redundancy, or are you okay with the autopilot depending on the EFIS?
Do you want the autopilot to do approaches?
Do you want the autopilot to run an electric trim?
How much are you willing to spend?

For me the answer was Trio Pro; for others, it may be different.

I might suggest you'd get more replies if you posted this in the autopilots section.

I would suggest not making a decision until you reach key milestone in your build. Avionics are changing too rapidly. In the RV-8, both servos go in the fuselage so you don't need to make a vendor decision until that part of the build. Then, wire to the panel. Once you get to the panel construction, you can decide what head-unit you like (dedicated or integrated or EFIS).

I added my AP to a finished RV-8 and it was not difficult.

nope- roll servo is in the wing of the RV8

Amen...

Do you want redundancy, or are you okay with the autopilot depending on the EFIS?

I used to have an A/P that was an integrated part of the EFIS. When the EFIS went down the A/P could not only stop working it could do uncommanded rolls/loops. Maybe that classifies it as an aerobatic A/P.:eek:

I have sense replace both the EFIS and A/P with AFS and TruTrack. They will work together, but also fail-safe to independent operation.

Kent - Ex BMA customer.

Installed Trutrak -- Roll servo under front seat

Things may have changed in last three years --

Back