What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check those PSRU input splines for signs wear/corrosion

Thread moved - Twice!

This thread was moved because it's not just an RV-9 topic. It belongs in this new forum that Doug set up for this purpose.
CORRECTION and 4:00 PM update: Since a "probable cause" was not published by the NTSB, I decided this thread didn't fit in that forum, so I have moved it to this forum. If Doug, or another moderator, feels there is a better forum for this thread (I almost moved it to the "Safety" forum), you may move it according to where you feel is best. I won't be offended. This thread seems to be too valuable to be deleted.

Last edited:
The Subenews Yahoo Group handles support for people flying this conversion and the issue was well known years ago and maintenance procedures discussed at length. There are several other known potential problem areas with these PSRUs and the group has procedures laid down on how to disassemble, inspect and rectify these. The group is also currently working on reproducing some wearing parts which are no longer available, so members can keep flying for years to come.

The lesson is clear. Do the required maintenance and you're less likely to have things like this happen.

Yep

Years ago, I gave an RV-8 owner a BFR in his 6 cylinder Eggenfellner powered airplane, who had the exact same thing happen. Fortunately, there was a nearby airport to which he glided and landed uneventfully.

Best,

This accident occurred two years ago and was on our return trip from the Bahamas as a three ship. Vic was very lucky it happened 5 miles from the home airport rather than over water. It appears this was a know issue for the Eggenfellner group.

Back