What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 almost done!!

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
So I'm 2.1 hrs from the magic 40 hour mark with my 0-360/Sterba propped 6A. One more flight and I'll be there.

So what next? Is it necessary to contact the FSDO and let them know? Can I just use the plane as I want and break out of my 75 mile window? I'm ready to go someplace!!:)

All I had to do was make an entry in the log, my inspector gave me the verbiage.

As I recall, also had some figures as to stall??

Check your operation limits, it should all be in there.

ALL!

PLEASE be aware that there is no such thing as the "magic 40 hours"!

Phase I testing is not complete until you have completed your test package.

The 25/40 hours is simply the minimum time you can use to complete phase I testing.

What is the test package ?

I was told no passengers in my -3B and avoid controlled airports. So what needs to be documented for POH other than stall, max glide, max climb and max angle .

To sign off phase I flight testing you must certify in the aircraft records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with 91.319(b), as stated in your operating limitations.

If you haven't read 91.319(b), then you probably haven's complied with it.

BTW, controlled airports are fine in phase I.

i think acro needs to be signed off in phase one if you want it legal for acro. :)

i think acro needs to be signed off in phase one if you want it legal for acro. :)

Actually most people sign off phase I without doing acro and then later put the aircraft back into phase I when they are more comfortable with the aircraft.

To sign off phase I flight testing you must certify in the aircraft records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with 91.319(b), as stated in your operating limitations.

If you haven't read 91.319(b), then you probably haven's complied with it.

BTW, controlled airports are fine in phase I.

Maybe I should have been more clear in my original post, but I have completed my test package and I am complying with 91.319.

So to my original question, do I have to contact anyone or just comply?

You don't have to contact anybody. You just make a logbook entry as described in your operating limitations and go fly within the phase 2 limitations.

Maybe I should have been more clear in my original post, but I have completed my test package and I am complying with 91.319.
So to my original question, do I have to contact anyone or just comply?

There is a paragraph in your operating limitations describing exactly what to do. It begins; "Following satisfactory completion of the..............."
It goes on to give the exact wording for the logbook entry. You don't need to contact anyone.

There is a paragraph in your operating limitations describing exactly what to do. It begins; "Following satisfactory completion of the..............."
It goes on to give the exact wording for the logbook entry. You don't need to contact anyone.

Thanks Mel. I just wanted to make sure I got this right. No job is finished 'till the paperwork is done!!

Back