Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2020, 06:34 PM

That hole some of you are saying was a previous hole for the gear leg bolt is not what you think, itís actually a rosette weld thatís holding that socket in place. I see this gear socket has a cuff added to the top to increase edge clearance for the bolt hole, Iíve done that to several of these during repair visits to my shop that where drilled to close to the edge. Chances are good that I not only built this mount but also repaired it at some point in the past.

Start by removing paint in the local area and hitting it with die penetrant test, if itís cracked then have your local TIG weldor weld it up using ER70S2 filler rod. If you donít have a trusted local weldor then send it to me for repair.

If it is broken there be sure to check the status of your lower corner and two center attach points/brackets behind the firewall, if these especially the center ones are broken the mount will flex under landing loads and wonít live to long.
We build many of your RV weldments.