VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Switches

We get lots of questions on switches and wiring layouts. A frequent question lately has been if you can use one switch for the twin coils and fuel pumps.

Our recommendation here is to use one switch for each pump and each coil power wire (4 switches in total here). This also allows easy verification at runup if these components are operating correctly.

Single switches present possible single points of failures, possibly negating the point of these redundant systems.

ECUs don't need power switches if not desired. Power for these can come on with bus power.

In all cases, fuse or breaker each device with an appropriately sized one.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 437.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 02-21-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
We get lots of questions on switches and wiring layouts. A frequent question lately has been if you can use one switch for the twin coils and fuel pumps.

Our recommendation here is to use one switch for each pump and each coil power wire (4 switches in total here). This also allows easy verification at runup if these components are operating correctly.

Single switches present possible single points of failures, possibly negating the point of these redundant systems.

ECUs don't need power switches if not desired. Power for these can come on with bus power.

In all cases, fuse or breaker each device with an appropriately sized one.
Ross - in line with that subject, what about power for the oxygen sensor and its handler? Will the heated sensors burn themselves out when sitting on the ground powered without the engine running and doing setup? I'm thinking of tying that power to the main SDS switch (appropriately breakered, of course) so it's powered up when SDS is powered.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM

From experience, I like to have the O2 sensor on a separate switch/fuse. If the fuel ratio goes beyond limits (rich of 9.0, leaner than 16.0) it seems to default to error and only way I have found to re-set is power it off & reboot it. No effect on anything else.
As for when to turn it on, I've been told to best way to preserve the sensor life is to turn the O2 sensor on about 10 seconds after engine start, after the exhaust has heated up.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:38 PM

We often see limited WB O2 sensor life when running 100LL. Bosch also discusses premature failures as a result of thermal shock stemming from powering the O2 heater circuit just as the engine starts when condensation is present in the exhaust system and hits the sensor causing fractures on the ceramic circuit board inside.

The auto OEMs often wait up to 60 seconds (or a certain number of injection/ spark events) before powering up the O2 heaters after engine start to reduce this shock.

Orientation of the sensor is important too. Follow Bosch's guidelines here. Again the worry is condensation hitting the sensor internals during warmup.

It seems like a separate heater switch might be a good idea from this data.

In future systems, we hope to have software to control the heater power from the ECU as the auto OEMs do.

Edit: I was trying to find this article I put in my archives a couple years ago. This has a very good discussion on the subject: http://www.nzefi.com/bosch-lsu-wide-...-applications/

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 437.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 02-21-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:57 PM

Thanks - that's good data. So ideally I need to have the wideband O2 controller powered several seconds (or tens of) after engine start, once EGT's have exceeded the point at which water droplets are a possibility.

That's either going to be a solid-state relay with a timer tied to main SDS power, or group it on a switch that gets turned on prior to flight but not for start.

Perhaps something to put on the "wishlist" for the EM-6!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Meanwhile, something like this might just do the trick. If I tie this to a fuel pump output to trigger the timer then I don't have to worry about heating the sensor without the engine running - I won't be running the fuel pump more than a couple seconds before crank, set the delay for 60 seconds and be happy. That allows for fuel pump testing and system priming without triggering the controller - and I can play with the SDS all I want on the ground without the fuel pumps turned on.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Relay-Cycling-Trigger/dp/B01HNDOCKK/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2TNI6MQSZVZ98&keywords=time+delay +relay&qid=1582324159&sprefix=time+delay+re%2Caps% 2C372&sr=8-12

This little unit even has a separate trigger and works down to 6 volts - so it could be powered on the main SDS power bus, and use the starter solenoid as a trigger to start the 60 seconds delay once the starter is energized. Or tie the trigger to the fuel injection relay that should be used to check the ECU boards just after start. Any number of possibilities exist for the trigger point.

Last edited by airguy : 02-21-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Yes, if all goes to plan, there will be some new O2 sensor features on the EM-6.

It would be nice if they get that UL avgas on the rails soon too...

Old 02-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Hi

In my -10 I put a large filter in each wing root. They are easily accessible for service. It takes only a few minutes to pull & service the filters. I don't recommend that they be installed in the tunnel as access becomes an issue. I also mounted a small fuel filter on the firewall (after the pumps). It is also easily serviced.

RV10 C-GCWZ Sold and now vacationing in Tulsa
RV10 C-GROK Flying

*** Dues Paid ***
Old 02-27-2020, 04:28 PM

Default YouTube and Updates

We passed a small milestone yesterday on our YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ )reaching 300 subscribers. I know many subscribers come from VAF and I want to thank you for checking out what we are doing and sending comments and ideas to us.
I see folks really like the RV-10 content and more info on the tuning angle is coming soon.

As time goes on, I'll work harder to improve the quality of the content and production. This has become my new night job and I'm finding it really interesting to learn new things about editing.

Currently, we're forging ahead now on new software which will find its way into the latest EM-5 ECUs as well as the coming EM-6s. This software will be released first to some of the Reno racers as they start testing soon. We'll use their feedback to shape further improvements. We've picked up a couple more racers to add for this season, so hope to see some more good results in Sept.

We're happy to have 2 time Gold Sport Champion Andy Findlay back with us again and we'll be helping him with a special project as well this year. Excited about this.

We're also fortunate to be involved with some new engine developments and want to thank those companies for choosing SDS to equip their engines. Hoping to show you some of those later in the year.

We have been blessed with working with so many great customers and fine people in this endeavor. Thanks to all of you for supporting us and sharing your project photos and flying stories- I've heard some great ones over the years and made some good friends along the way.

Forging ahead!

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 02-27-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:28 PM

Default Aero Friedrichshafen 2020

Good Morning,

You are not by chance on the Aero in Friedrichshafen this year?

Patrick