VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 02-19-2020, 06:30 AM
2of5 2of5 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
Default Another build sequence question

I anticipate being finished with my tail kit in the next couple of months, and wanted to see if anyone else followed this sequence:

I was considering ordering the SB fuse kit next, very soon given the 10 week lead times, then when that gets close to done ordering the finishing kit. Reason being is that I haven't quite decided on whether or not I will be going QB on the wings. No matter which way, I'll have a complete airplane minus wings and engine up on gear. It's out of the normal order of things, but any drawbacks?
__________________
Todd N.
Kingsville, Ontario
http://rv14a.ca C-GLCV reserved
RV-14A - #140665 empennage: starting tailcone, ordering SB fuse soon
RV-7 - #74495 empennage: FS, partly complete
2020 Contributor
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2020, 06:46 AM
Jetmart Jetmart is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 146
Default

Hi Todd

I believe the Lycoming warranty starts 2 years after you receive the engine or first engine start.
That may influence your decision on QB wings or not.
__________________
Glenn Martin
Windsor, Ontario
1942 Tiger Moth
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Started Tail Cone Dec 2019
2020 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2020, 06:49 AM
Desert Rat Desert Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: 50-50 Wichita KS & Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 174
Default

The center section carry through typically ships with the wings as a matched set to the spars, even though it's a fuselage assembly.

Don't know if its a problem to order the other way around, but that's one consideration.
__________________
Terry Shortt
AGI, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P, Janitor
RV7 Empennage & Wing #72651
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2020, 06:54 AM
Tom023 Tom023 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
The center section carry through typically ships with the wings as a matched set to the spars, even though it's a fuselage assembly.

Don't know if its a problem to order the other way around, but that's one consideration.
Not the case with the RV14. The center section is included with the fuselage and not matched to the wings.
__________________
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2019 Donation
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2020, 07:36 AM
2of5 2of5 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023 View Post
Not the case with the RV14. The center section is included with the fuselage and not matched to the wings.
Hi Tom,
That's good to know, thanks.
__________________
Todd N.
Kingsville, Ontario
http://rv14a.ca C-GLCV reserved
RV-14A - #140665 empennage: starting tailcone, ordering SB fuse soon
RV-7 - #74495 empennage: FS, partly complete
2020 Contributor
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Aluminum Aluminum is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of5 View Post
I anticipate being finished with my tail kit in the next couple of months, and wanted to see if anyone else followed this sequence:

I was considering ordering the SB fuse kit next, very soon given the 10 week lead times, then when that gets close to done ordering the finishing kit. Reason being is that I haven't quite decided on whether or not I will be going QB on the wings. No matter which way, I'll have a complete airplane minus wings and engine up on gear. It's out of the normal order of things, but any drawbacks?
Make sure you order the W-00026 template with the fuse, you'll need it in a couple of spots. It normally ships in the wing kit.
__________________
Dan V
'91 Zodiac flying since 2013
RV-14A in progress
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 AM
Av8rRob's Avatar
Av8rRob Av8rRob is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rescue, CA. KROB
Posts: 331
Default

Yes, my plane is all slow build and I went tail, fuselage, finish, wing. No big deal at all with the -14
__________________
Rob Lasater
Rv-14 still workin, but getting close
Paid Dec 2019
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2020, 07:53 PM
2of5 2of5 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
Default

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
__________________
Todd N.
Kingsville, Ontario
http://rv14a.ca C-GLCV reserved
RV-14A - #140665 empennage: starting tailcone, ordering SB fuse soon
RV-7 - #74495 empennage: FS, partly complete
2020 Contributor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.