VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Default FAA considers Superior Air Parts crankshaft assembly AD

FAA considers Superior Air Parts crankshaft assembly AD

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...m_medium=email
Old 02-18-2020, 02:16 AM

I emailed Superior to enquire about the AD as I was unsure if it will affect our engine - unfortunately it does. 150TTSN engine (sad face).

Would love to know at what engine hours the failures occurred and in what applications those engines were used.

Attached is the response I got from Mr Ross from Superior. Very chuffed with the quick feedback from them, but looks like it’s a case of “let’s wait and see”.

Superior Response:

Mr. Grobler,

I received your inquiry from a member of our customer service team. Our records indicate the engine serial number you provided was equipped with crankshaft serial number SP14-0161. This serial number does fall within the affect range on the proposed AD.

However, Superior only became aware of this proposed AD during the week of Feb 3. We are still gathering information from the FAA and working to a resolution. The metallurgical examination performed by an independent laboratory on each conclude there is not a metallurgical issue with the crankshafts and cites abuse as probable reason for fracture. The FAA has performed no metallurgical testing on these or any Superior crankshafts. Experimental aircraft are not affected from a regulatory point of view. However, Superior is committed to the safety of its customers and will immediately contact each if it is determined that an unsafe condition does in fact exist.

Thank you,

Bill Ross
VP of Product Support

Last edited by JPGrobler : 02-18-2020 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Addition made
Old 02-18-2020, 06:47 AM

I wonder if the FAA or the NTSB has published the finding to the root cause of the fatigue cracking yet other than just issue the AD.

Donation paid through 2020
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
I wonder if the FAA or the NTSB has published the finding to the root cause of the fatigue cracking yet other....
Yes, its in the AD.

...”gaseous nitrocarburization resulted in excessive residual white layer forming on the assemblies. This white layer is brittle and can lead to spalling or fatigue cracking of the crankshaft assembly as a result of the normal mechanical loads during engine operation. ”

Last edited by Tandem46 : 02-18-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Interesting!

I also contacted Superior about the proposed AD after first checking the engine logís parts inventory. Their representative confirmed from their records that my engineís crank does not fall within the proposed AD. Lucky I guess!

While I donít know Bill Ross personally, my few conversations with him at AirVenture lend me to believe Superior will try to work with their clients if the problem stems from a manufacturerís defect. Letís hope.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Older Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 ads-b out, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P w/auto level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Maybe Superior will recall all the affected engines like they did with the XP-400
Old 02-19-2020, 09:17 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

For those with Superior engines (like me - we have one on our Tundra), if you;re wondering about the affected range of cranks, I checked with the company, and it appears that the cranks in the AD were from the 2012 - 2014 timeframe. Ours was from back in 2004, so we’re clear. This might help with the angst...at least for those with older or younger cranks!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 PM

I always wondered where the term ‘You’re a bit CRANKY” was derived. Now I know.
My apologies by those affected. Truly a bummer....
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM

Anyone have an idea of the timeline looks like for an AD like this? What to expect in the near future and how to get into the air again ASAP? This is the first time Iíve been affected by an AD and have no idea what Iím in for...

Also, if it gets confirmed after said timeline (a week, a month, 6 months - I have no idea) that the affected crankshafts need replacing, does Superior send each operator a new crankshaft for their account and the labour is for the ownerís account or what is usually the outcome? Just need to know if I should start budgeting for a crankshaft, only the labour or a new (read Lycoming) engine...(me trying to make a joke to lift my own spirits on the matter).

Some clarity will be most appreciated!

Mechanical Engineer
South Africa
Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 PM

Paul.

Does that AD include any of the IO-360 angle valve 200 HP counter weighted crankshafts?