VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM

Default need tips on heater duct routing

I'm installing a vetterman exhaust with two heat muffs and wondering what is the best way of routing the duct. The hole in the baffle is behind cylinder 3 so it seems to make sense to go into that muff 1st then over to the other side and then to the bypass vavle on the firewall. This would point the hot air right at the battery on the firewall when the heat wasn't being used in the cabin. Have others installed the bypass valve in this direction and did it cause issues?
Dues paid Jan 2020
Old 02-14-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwranda View Post
I'm installing a vetterman exhaust with two heat muffs and wondering what is the best way of routing the duct. The hole in the baffle is behind cylinder 3 so it seems to make sense to go into that muff 1st then over to the other side and then to the bypass vavle on the firewall. This would point the hot air right at the battery on the firewall when the heat wasn't being used in the cabin. Have others installed the bypass valve in this direction and did it cause issues?
That's the way I did it. Although my bypass valve is oriented to direct the bypass air out the bottom. I oriented the heat muff inlet to the back of the exhaust pipe and the outlet to the front in order to get the hottest air at the outlet. I also got some 2" titanium exhaust wrap from Amazon and wrapped the heat muffs. Decent heat so far in 2 winters down to -16C.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017
Old 02-14-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7 To Go View Post
SNIP I oriented the heat muff inlet to the back of the exhaust pipe and the outlet to the front in order to get the hottest air at the outlet. SNIP
I think this makes two of us out of thousands of RV's! A counter-flow heat exchanger can be quite a bit more effective than a concurrent flow one. Almost every one I've seen has it connected the lesser effective way.