- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2020, 11:56 PM

No more testers needed, this is the email they're sending out to some :

Hi there,

We appreciate your interest in our test program. However, at this time we are no longer sending out test units. We will inform you of any changes to the status of the Beta program.

Thank you

-Trevor Mack
uAvionix Support
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 AM

Applied when COPA put out the call and didnít get any response. I wonder why uAvionix was actively recruiting in January ? I was ready and able . Putting an order in today .
Marc
Old 02-24-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777drvr View Post
Applied when COPA put out the call and didnít get any response. I wonder why uAvionix was actively recruiting in January ? I was ready and able . Putting an order in today.
They underestimated how much flying people would be able to do in the cold north in a rainy, cloudy season... So they asked for more people, in the hopes that when a window opened up, they'd get more data from that window. For the most part, it seems the "second round" went to people who were acquaintances of people already doing the testing.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:26 PM

I see the TailbeaconX is now for sale at ACS. Requires a control head or connection to an EFIS (GRT & MGL listed). Works world wide. A mere $3474 C plus the head or EFIS.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017
Old 03-12-2020, 05:48 PM

And for that fine sum you get to lose your tail strobe. Real shame, I'm sure that's a deal breaker for a lot of RVs, it is for me.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 03-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
And for that fine sum you get to lose your tail strobe. Real shame, I'm sure that's a deal breaker for a lot of RVs, it is for me.
Agreed ! For that kind of money there are other options for USA pilots and up north you have years before you actually need anything. As much as I like uAvionix products I think they priced themselves way too high for this.
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Old 03-13-2020, 07:48 AM

FYI - My strobe is on the tip of my vertical stabilizer, so I haven't lost anything.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
FYI - My strobe is on the tip of my vertical stabilizer, so I haven't lost anything.
You also didnít have to shell out $3500 for it.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:17 AM

At Copperstate 2019, I had a long conversation with uAvionix about the Canadian requirements, including the technical solution of mounting a dipole on the rudder bottom. There was a lot discussion about satellite based ADS-B vs the ground-based system used (only) in the USA.

Well, so the saying goes... You can have it Good, Fast, or Cheap, pick two. By all measures, it's good, came out very fast, but is not cheap.

On my new ride, I will use it so that I can have international compliance, plus the SAR location capability. I also expect some more innovative solutions from uAvionix in the near future...

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Victoria, BC
Chandler, Az
Old 03-13-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
There is a post on VAF about someone installing a Tailbeacon (US version) in the wingtip. They said it worked fine. At 105 mm high it looks like this one will fit in the tip as well. The light can be turned off in the programming. Just food for thought. Certainly not inexpensive but it does incorporate a mode S transponder etc, so may be good for someone who doesn't have one....or sell the one you have to help mitigate the cost. FWIW.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017