- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 AM

Default Heated pitot outboard of tie down / bell crank bay

Hi,

Iím deciding the best location for the pitot tube and understand it can be hard to place at the plans location (one bay inboard from bellcrank bay) due length of alu tube needed vs aileron pushrods. Note I will likely put it in the rh wing.

For anyone who has installed the pitot one bay OUTBOARD of the bellcrank rib, did you ever find any issues tying the aircraft down? Is this a real concern? (Any photos?)

If this is an issue, is there any reason not to put it further outboard? (AOA issues or big speed variations when slipping etc)

Thank you!
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
May 2020
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM

My pitot is outboard of the bell crank on the left wing and have not had any issues with tie-down. It is much easier to install outboard, too.
Miss March 2020
Old 01-16-2020, 04:03 PM

I did exactly the same, check out my post https://webuildplanes.com/kevins-rv-...ast-and-heater

RV-14A N1402 Flying 03-2020
New Build Log
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyer21 View Post
I did exactly the same,
So the controller is on the access panel underneath the bell crank assembly? Was this on the left wing or the right?

Iím wondering if either a) there would be enough room underneath the right aileron bellcrank / AP servo for the heater controller or b) if the wires for the controller could reach from the next most inboard access panel from the bell crank bay, to the pitot mast in the bay one outboard of the right aileron bellcrank bay.
May 2020
Old 01-17-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASEsq View Post
So the controller is on the access panel underneath the bell crank assembly? Was this on the left wing or the right?

Iím wondering if either a) there would be enough room underneath the right aileron bellcrank / AP servo for the heater controller or b) if the wires for the controller could reach from the next most inboard access panel from the bell crank bay, to the pitot mast in the bay one outboard of the right aileron bellcrank bay.
Left wing, one bay outboard of bellcrank access panel. There is plenty of room for the controller on the left wing access panel.

RV-14A N1402 Flying 03-2020
New Build Log
Old 01-17-2020, 08:17 AM

I have mine in the stock location, no problems with tie down. It does take a bit longer to route the alum tubing to keep it clear on the pushrod/bellcrank but it's a one time job once it's shaped and connected to the pitot and AOA plastic lines. I'm using the heated GAP 26 but unregulated so no control box to mount.

CFI-I ASMEL, ATP, B-1900, A319/320, B-757/767, B-737, Flight Engineer-Turbojet

RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-17-2020, 08:20 AM

This thread is very timely for me. If you put the Garmin pitot/AOA mast in the factory location, is the interference with the regulator/controller or with the mast itself? I'm using the unregulated version but if I'm going to move it, now is the easiest time due to having the wing ribs in my priming booth rather than riveted to the spars.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
This thread is very timely for me. If you put the Garmin pitot/AOA mast in the factory location, is the interference with the regulator/controller or with the mast itself? I'm using the unregulated version but if I'm going to move it, now is the easiest time due to having the wing ribs in my priming booth rather than riveted to the spars.
The interference is from the alum tubes coming from the GAP 26 and the aileron pushrod/ bellcrank. You need to perform some origami with the tubes to keep them clear. The alum tubes needs to remain at least a certain length (forgot exactly) so you can't just cut them short and run the flexible tubing around the pushrod to the pitot/AOA. It took me maybe 30 minutes extra to bend them into a shape that keeps them clear. But if you go one more bay out, you don't have anything in the way so it's simpler.

CFI-I ASMEL, ATP, B-1900, A319/320, B-757/767, B-737, Flight Engineer-Turbojet

RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 PM

Thanks Chris,

So Iím thinking maybe there is less of an issue with bending the tubes from the pitot tube itself, and more of an issue with the tie down rope damaging the installed pitot.

Does anyone have any installed pics of how they bent their alu tubes out of the mast when installed at the plans location? (One bag inboard of bellcrank bay)
May 2020
Old 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova RV View Post
I have mine in the stock location, no problems with tie down. It does take a bit longer to route the alum tubing to keep it clear on the pushrod/bellcrank but it's a one time job once it's shaped and connected to the pitot and AOA plastic lines. I'm using the heated GAP 26 but unregulated so no control box to mount.
Exactly the same here. I haven't flown yet (should be sometime in February!), but it was easy to setup and I can't think of a reason to deviate from the stock location.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Flying!

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site

RV-14(A) Fuel Tanks
RV Builder Assistance
RV First Flights