What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy limit switch

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Someone really should put in the plans to run the wire for the canopy locked limit switch when the canopy goes in the frame. I didn?t and it took some creative work to get two wires in the slot from the front of the frame and out the oblong hole next to the switch.

Basically ran it all the way out the back of the frame then used a wire loop in the oblong hole. The loop wire I ran aft then around the switch wire then back to the oblong hole. Pulling the loop forward brought the wire to the oblong hole instead of all the way back. Thenwith a very small thin electrical tape pulled through a second wire.

But what a chore. Tried a lot of other things and ways before this worked.

agreed...I got the wires so jammed in trying to get them through that I had to abandon the left side and finally got it to work on the right side...

Are you guys talking about the wires for the micro switch? The only thing I can see in the manual is where the Finishing Kit instructions refer to the Avionics Kit but there isn't anything there. I'm about to tackle this, any more info? Thanks for the heads up!

I haven?t run the wires yet, but I put a piece of safety wire in place before I riveted the canopy frame. I am hoping to use that to pull the wires. We?ll see if it was smart or not. :rolleyes:

Cut the end of the wire on an angle and nip off the sharp point. Take any curl in the wire out by straightening it. Lube the end of the wire and gently push it through.

pulling through with safety wire sounds like a good idea, but the problem is how to attach wires to the safety wire without increasing the diameter and getting it jammed...(solder maybe?)

Can't remember the layout exactly, but putting both wires in before the plexi might be the easiest solution

Can't remember the layout exactly, but putting both wires in before the plexi might be the easiest solution

I considered that, but I didn?t/don?t have the wires, yet. I just figured it might be easier than trying to ?push the rope.?

Anyone reading this before attaching the canopy should beg borrow or steal some 22g wire and run a pair before the closeout. There are lots of good ideas but this is the easiest by far. If you taped it and pulled it tight before riveting it would not get cut or pinched. I wouldn’t rtv or glue it cuz it’s. nice to be able to pull it thru later if you ever wanted too. Single conductor shielded could work but costs more and the wire is thick enough to to be a real hassle. The

Someone really should put in the plans to run the wire for the canopy locked limit switch when the canopy goes in the frame. I didn?t and it took some creative work to get two wires in the slot from the front of the frame and out the oblong hole next to the switch.

Basically ran it all the way out the back of the frame then used a wire loop in the oblong hole. The loop wire I ran aft then around the switch wire then back to the oblong hole. Pulling the loop forward brought the wire to the oblong hole instead of all the way back. Thenwith a very small thin electrical tape pulled through a second wire.

But what a chore. Tried a lot of other things and ways before this worked.

If you have that set of plans from the thumb drive I can add it to the Wiki in drop box. See link in signature.

Can Anyone upload it? Go to the link and ask for Edit permission.

Or send me your email in PM I will enable.

Thx

Back