What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine start issue

azonic75

Well Known Member
I have been so far unsuccessful in starting my engine for the first time. It's an aero sport io-375, dual pmags and ww200 prop. I've retimed the pmags, battery charged, starter spins up well, at first engine caught and stumbled, the ran ok for a minute or so. After that I've had no luck. Suspect during the course of all this it got flooded (soot stained fuel from exhaust). I pulled and cleaned the plugs (wet with fuel). Have let it sit for a few hours.....and nothing. Acts like is isn't getting a stron g spark. Any ideas? Thanks

Kai

With fuel coming out of the exhaust, sounds like ignition to me. Have you put an inductive strobe light on it to see what timing its firing at? If you can verify the timing, and that the wires are correct, checking both ignitions with the inductive light, then your down to a fuel problem. My bet is on ignition timing or even working. Also have you tried on one or the other ignition?

Pulled the plugs, laid them out connected to the leads, when I pull the prop through I get a spark, timing seems ok, top plugs of different Pmag and they fire together.

Pulled the plugs, laid them out connected to the leads, when I pull the prop through I get a spark, timing seems ok, top plugs of different Pmag and they fire together.

This is not a good enough test. You need to know that they are in fact timed correctly. If one is off, it can make your life miserable. You have to inductive light check both to ensure exactly what the timing is. Are you familiar with this process?

No Start PMags

Having done a bit of troubleshooting on a friends RV8 for same problem, I found that the pmags must have a MINIMUM of 9 volts when cranking. The battery terminal was about 8 volts on his Dynon when spinning the starter. New well charged PC680 and it fired right up in one blade. Also in helping another owner install his IO375 Aerosport we found that the timing was not the typical 25BTC. The pmags had to be retimed for the correct timing by Bill R. from Williamsport Airpark. Maybe Bill will chime in here about the timing correction for the IO375.
Tyler
N174MT

Thanks everyone. Plugs were fouled, so I cleaned then, don't have a sniffle valve so I drained some fuel out of the sump, put in a new battery..... And finally got it going. Seemed to run well, so I made my first flight! No issues but CHTs high so still some work to do, I suspect the timing is still a bit off.

Thanks everyone. Plugs were fouled, so I cleaned then, don't have a sniffle valve so I drained some fuel out of the sump, put in a new battery..... And finally got it going. Seemed to run well, so I made my first flight! No issues but CHTs high so still some work to do, I suspect the timing is still a bit off.

Great news on your first flight!

Check your PM's.

Back