What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Shuttle Launch: Viewing location recommendations?

cattflight

Well Known Member
Hey all you Florida RV drivers - and any others who've viewed an STS launch first-hand...

My wife and I are looking to head to Florida for the final Shuttle Atlantis launch scheduled for July 8th. I was fortnate enough to see a night launch over a decade ago where there wasn't as much interest & hysteria as there will be for the final launch, so the availability of viewing locations was fairly open. For this trip I understand millions willl show up to witness the final flight. We're obviously planning a little late so all hotels that face the space center are booked up, and we've seen viewing options for everything from Grayline tour buses to sea kayaks off Merit Island. Our concern is the lack of local knowledge and the very real possibility that any launch delay (hours or days) could wreak havoc on any "formal" transportation or tour operator.

Am I over-thinking this? Can any of you with local knowledge recommend a place that has reasonably good viewing options...a local airfield, park, marina, highway, etc. that, though likely crowded, would be good for viewing this very special launch?

Thanks!!

Well,

We had a cunning plan.

Go to Daytona - rent a couple of scooters and whizz down the coast, weaving in and out of the traffic up to the front of the lines......

Just a thought :D

Our favorite spot is in our RV along the river behind the cruise terminals. You can see the launck pad with binoculars but plan on getting there early and expect a long delay getting out. Also there are no "facilities" but they may put out some porta-johns as they expect a large crowd. If you fly into Merritt Island (COI) it wouldnt take long to get back to there. Although I've never gone up to Titusville for a launch I would think flying into TIX woud be good, it is less than a mile walk over to the river and should be a good viewing area. Look into renting a RV, it makes for a much more pleasent day sitting around waiting for the launch after you stake out your veiwing spot early.

Oh yeah, I meant RV as in our camper, not plane.

Great ideas. Thanks!

Our favorite spot is in our RV along the river behind the cruise terminals. You can see the launck pad with binoculars but plan on getting there early and expect a long delay getting out. Also there are no "facilities" but they may put out some porta-johns as they expect a large crowd. If you fly into Merritt Island (COI) it wouldnt take long to get back to there. Although I've never gone up to Titusville for a launch I would think flying into TIX woud be good, it is less than a mile walk over to the river and should be a good viewing area. Look into renting a RV, it makes for a much more pleasent day sitting around waiting for the launch after you stake out your veiwing spot early.

Oh yeah, I meant RV as in our camper, not plane.

Ha! I was thinking "there's a new model of RV that includes 'facilities'?" I must not have been keeping up with the Vans page!

We watched the last launch from a friends boat. It was about an hour boat ride from New Smyrna Beach down to the Haulover Canal that goes into Titusville. That is as close as the Coast Guard will let you get on the ICW. There were quite a few boats and quite a few people in kayaks. I believe they had put in in Titusville at one of the ramps around the Haulover. Highly recommend doing it by boat or kayak if you can swing it. You can see the launch pad from the water. Great view and sound! I used to drive to Titusville and watch from the water front, but the traffic in and out has become pretty unmanageable for the last few launches. If you fly in to Titusville or Merritt Island, I think you will get a pretty good view right from the airport. You will have to be on the ground about six hours prior to the launch because of the TFR. The TFR goes away pretty quickly after the launch. I think about 45 minutes or so.
Ironically, it looks like we are going to miss this launch due to being out of town, after seeing every one since I moved here 2 1/2 years ago.:(

there is a TFR for 6 hours before and 2 hours after the launch at the Titusville aprt.

I called the fbo before the last launch. Its walking distance to the view area, but NO tents on the aprt property.

I noticed that the TFR stayed in effect for two hours after the last launch. I think that might have been because the President was scheduled to be there to watch the launch. In the past, I know the TFR's have ended about 45 minutes after the launch.
You can fly in to New Smyrna Beach (KEVB) all during the TFR period. The airport lies just outside of the inner circle, so you can come in as long as you are talking to ATC with a squawk code. Less than an hour drive to Titusville from NSB normally, but with the expected crowds this time, traffic will be crawling the last few miles, I am sure.
A local boat charter outfit is selling tickets for a breakfast/lunch cruise down the coast to watch from the boat. I just saw the add here today. Pricey, but should be a great way to see the last launch. We would definitely sign up for this if we weren't going to be out of town.

Paul-
The suggestions to fly into Titusville or Merritt Island are good ones. If you can get a rental car, Jetty Park near the Port is always a great place for viewing. Anywhere along the Indian River is also a good place.

I've been fortunate to be able to watch the Shuttle launches from my back yard since STS-1. It is truly the end of an era....

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island,FL

Back