What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Aileron Build Blog?

mikkee1

Can anyone point me to a Blog showing the aileron build? I'm rebuilding a damaged one and all I have are the 25 year old plans...These are so antiquated that I feel like I'm paging through the Dead Sea Scrolls and trying not to damage the papyrus...

Thanks,

Mike

RV-4 Aileron's

Can anyone point me to a Blog showing the aileron build? I'm rebuilding a damaged one and all I have are the 25 year old plans...These are so antiquated that I feel like I'm paging through the Dead Sea Scrolls and trying not to damage the papyrus...

Thanks,

Mike

Dead Sea Scrolls is what they may look like to you, but that is what was available in 1984 and is still available in 2011. Many of us built the parts with the plans provided, and they worked very well.

You're just concerned with an aileron, you probably have no concept what it would be like to build a whole airplane with those plans, but if the fire is in your gut, you work your way through.

As far as an aileron replacement, you might consider buying all new parts for the appropriate aileron from the RV-8 catalog, which are interchangeable with the RV-4 aileron. All those parts can be obtained pre-punched. You might find that easier. An aileron can be built in one or two days if you have even a little experience building an RV.

Yep, hats off to you guys who've built a -4...With the availability of the pre-punched kits in the newer models, it makes it seem even harder to build a -4.

As far as the aileron, the guy I spoke with at Van's (didn't get his name) said the RV-8 and RV-4 ailerons were not interchangeable. He suggested I take apart the aileron, dig up the part numbers from the plans, then order the parts I need to repair it.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

Yep, hats off to you guys who've built a -4...With the availability of the pre-punched kits in the newer models, it makes it seem even harder to build a -4.

As far as the aileron, the guy I spoke with at Van's (didn't get his name) said the RV-8 and RV-4 ailerons were not interchangeable. He suggested I take apart the aileron, dig up the part numbers from the plans, then order the parts I need to repair it.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

Well, all I can tell you is that in the in the last 2 1/2 years I helped a friend at my home airport build a standard RV-4. Then within the last 3 months he decided to build another set of ailerons for that same RV-4, and used only prepunched RV-8 parts to do it. All of Van's help, and I know most of them, have not necessarily built an RV-4, so they may not be aware of the commonality.

Back