What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Muff Slippage

Scott Chastain

"Behold, I send my messenger,
And he will prepare the way before me.
And the Lord whom you seek
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the messenger of the covenant
In whom you delight.
Behold, he is coming,"
Says the Lord of hosts.

Malachi 3:1

Last edited:
I slotted the little rod holes on the end pieces a little more
so they will tighten on the pipe better.
Tom

Hose clamp

Hi.

I had the same problem, and solved it by mounting an additional hoseclamp below the heatmuff.

This clamp will prevent the muff from sliding downwards on the exhaust pipe and then possibly interfering with the throttlearm on the Silverhawk injector.
You can see the extra clamp just below the heatmuff.

I think that the muff actually could've prevented movement of the throttlearm, thus leaving me with with stuck throttle...

That'd certainly ruin my day....

You'll also notice that the heatmuff is approx 1/3 longer than normal.
I've put two of Vans muffs together to have more heat available. It can be needed here in the cold Norwegian winters... (my wife hate to be cold too!)

Last edited:
Scott
You probably did what I"ve done on at least a couple of planes now.
I put the end caps "over" the muff "sleeve", instead of inside the sleeve on previous planes, and had the same issue as you, also the threaded rods seemed a little short. This time I tried putting the end caps and threaded rods together around the exhaust pipe, then put the sleeve around the sub assembly, then the hose clamps on top of the sleeve and everything clamped down nice and tight.

Tom:
I would like to see photos of this if possible. I'm not sure what you mean here, since the threaded rods only hold the end caps longitudinally and don't provide the "clamping" pressure I need on the pipe itself.

I did the same thing. It's a very simple solution to the problem. By slotting the holes a little bit (I used a Dremel), the end caps can then be tightened down more by the hose clamps, thus holding the whole thing secure.

The problem Scott alludes to is not just the "muff sliding" down the exhaust. Unless the muff is tight, any movement will slowly eat through the exhaust pipe... and all that entails :eek:

We had it tight enough that only a strong hand force could turn it... and have now used the slots above to get it tighter...

It has been disscussed elsewhere on this forum IIRC ;)

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Back