VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Dual vs. Single EFIS

Has anyone installed a single EFIS and wish they had installed two? Or has anyone installed two and wish they had just bought one? I am planning for a G3X Touch system although I'm not yet 100% committed to that. I fly with steam gauges and an iPad Mini now. I don't know how I feel about needing to scroll around on an MFD to be able to read all the information on an approach plate, so there's a good chance I'll still be using an iPad for that as well as for flight planning even after I finish my RV. Should I just put a RAM mount for my iPad on the copilot side of the panel or should I spring for the dual G3X system? (Life is plagued with too many decisions!)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Installed 2 Dynon 1000T screens and wish I had a 3rd 7" for dedicated engine monitor.

If money were tight, as it often is, start with one but wire for dual screen. It isn't that much more wiring work but doing it later would be more difficult.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM

I used a G3x touch 10.4" on the left and the GTN 625 in the center. I also have an iPad mini with Garmin Pilot on a RAM suction mount to the right of the center stack and that gives me plenty of information.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Our RV 10 had dual EFIS on the left side of the panel. Engine info on a strip along the bottom of the units. I used one for forward/synthitic vision, and the other for "Gods eye"/map.

The new plane (Rans S21) will have the same dual EFIS, but one in front of each seat------need to split them up now that we are a two pilot family-----and a third one above the radio stack for engine data. I plan to set the primary units up in split screen mode, with same views as above on each unit.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 09-21-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Single Dynon Skyview Classic 7" on first project, never needed more for VFR.

Single G3X on second project, but with GTN, G5 and iPad/stratux backup. We'll see if I'll wish for more once flying IFR.
2018 dues worth every penny
Old 09-21-2018, 03:45 PM

For me, VFR only, I am more than happy with just one Dynon D180. Way more capable than any panel I had flown on in the past. One SkyView would be even better, but I built before SV's came along. For some, including me, one screen is about budget. For others, also including me, one screen is about a philosophy of keeping things as simple as possible.

Good luck with your choice.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Default Single Screen

I have an RV-12 with a single screen, the new Dynon HDX and I love it. I also have a Ram mount on the passenger side and use and iPad air in that mount. I like having two independent systems and the iPad is much less expensive than a second Dynon. But having said that, I have nothing but good things to say about Dynon products and their support. This summer I installed the auto-pilot control module, the knob module, ADS-B in, ADS-b Out, and connected the AOA, all with Dynon components. The support from Dynon during this project was wonderful. I can't recomend Dynon enough.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 PM

I have a single 10" SkyView, which I LOVE!

If I were to fly IFR, I would probably want a second screen to push the engine data off to. (I really wish Dynon would come out with a slaved screen to display the engine info.)

As long as i remain VFR, I see no reason for a second screen.

As for flight planning on an iPad, I have had no need to do that, ever. If I were flying IFR, that might be a different story.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Built the 12 with one Dynon Touch and added the second after the first flight to Oshkosh. Lots of weather and traffic in area and I needed to deviate for storms, be aware of ADS-B traffic and get alternate airport info. Switching to data screen for weather and info and you lose situation awareness without map. Ordered and installed second and it is well worth the extra expense for safety and situation awareness. Besides a backup, it is great for training when you both have the same information in front of you. For X-Country I just leave the right on map with weather display on so I can always see radar and airport weather.
RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Dual GRT HX/HS, but the small 6" ones. I don't use the approach plate feature. Instead I carry an iPad mini, in my lap or on the center console. With approach plate loaded, I pick up the mini to the same height as my PFD, just to the side, and read the plate while still scanning over to the pfd. I make hard copies prior to flight for backups (never needed yet, but never say never).