Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 AM

Question RV-8 vs Harmon Rocket

Hello VAF!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on starting an airplane build, now I need to decide which one. I've narrowed it down between a RV-8 and a Harmon Rocket. My question is, how much faster is a Rocket vs the RV-8. I know the RV-8 usually cruises between 180-190 True Air Speed. For the Rocket owners out there, how much faster is it? Trying to decide if loosing the extra baggage space is worth the speed.

Thank you for your time!

Astro
Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Have you considered the extra building time needed for the rocket?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-31-2018, 10:22 AM

Hey Mike,

I'm not really worried about the build time. I already own an RV-8A (and love it!). I'm starting this as a hobby and to achieve a bucket list item.

I'm getting close to retiring from the Air Force and the wife has approved me to start building .

Astro
Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 AM

Default Rocket

Rocket has more room, can be 25kt faster.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

There is a middle of the road solution---------Super 8. http://www.mstewart.net/super8/

Another source of info, talk to Brian at Show Planes. https://showplanes.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 08-31-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 AM

When you say "more room" are you talking personal space or baggage space?

If there are any Rocket's near Portales, New Mexico, I'm hosting a fly-in September 22nd if anyone wants to drop in and show it off!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM

There was a Harmon Rocket II at the land of enchantment fly-in this last weekend. Sexy bird.

From what I gather the Harmon Rocket is a more "Raw" build, largely from plans. The F1 Rocket seems to have more kittable parts you can buy, and you supplement the rest with RV parts.

There is some more info on differences in the archives and a recent post in the Rocket sub-forum. It sounds like the F1 rocket is usually a bit faster(something like 3kts). This depends on which wing/tail you end up building, but the original F1 EVO wings are no longer available. They were teasing that a new EVO wing is being designed but no idea when it will be available or what capability it would provide.

There are pictures of Rockets flying at 230-240mph TAS at around 11GPH on this forum.

Another option is the F4 Raider which is a F1 Rocket design and ascetics flying a 4 cylinder instead of a 6.

Last edited by kclo4 : 08-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:26 AM

I haven't flown either, but my impression of sitting in the -8 and an HRII on the ground is that there is more room for the pilot in an HRII (I expect the F-1 is similar). This seems counterintuitive as the Rocket is based off the -4 which is smaller to start with, but that's the impression I got sitting in them. In particular what I noticed was the wider stance for your feet in the Rocket... I found the -8 to feel constrictive with the gear towers forcing your feet together. I seem to recall from rides in both that the opposite was true in the back seat, the -8 being roomier for the passenger than the Rocket.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Bucket list

Well, get a ride in one 1st - then decide.

If you want to take the high road, there are F1's for sale every now and again, and once in a while an Evo pops up (~40 were produced). Vince is hard at work getting the F1 back into production, and I think all but the wing are available?

The luggage is aft, and is huge. Personal room is similar, but the rudder pedals on the Rocket are a bit more ergonomic, and the panel is not so close to your face.

The Evo wing was a heavy-duty design, but it sure does perform. I think Vince & Co are gonna have a similar wing with similar numbers, but easier to produce and lighter.

I can say that my ship will show 200KTAS on 11GPH 22"/2200 at 8500' on a warm day, and 214KTAS on the same fuel at 17500'. Fastest lap at Reno with that plane was 264MPH.

If you want to putter around, it will also show 125KIAS on 5.5 GPH 1800/16".

But my signature says it all...

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM

Mike S,

I thought about the Super 8, but it seems like the Rocket/F-1 is faster? If I'm going to take the time to build one, I want it to be significantly faster than the 8A I have now.

Mark (F1Boss),

I just looked up Taylor, TX. I may need to fly down from Clovis, NM and visit! It is only about a 2.5 hour flight.