- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 AM

Default Flying Tips For New RV Pilots

Please add your favorite tips for new RV pilots and indicate which model they apply to.

Hold the stick at the top and when building, do not shorten the stick. (Some time back Van wrote an article on this.)
I was flying with a new RV pilot and he was grossly over controlling the plane. When I looked over his hand was on the bottom of the stick, just above his legs. When I suggested he hold the stick at the top, the over controlling stopped immediately.

When on downwind, bisect the runway with your left wing tip. This gives you good spacing and works out well for pattern size.

If you fly a Taildragger and are struggling getting the flair height correct, work on wheel landings and move to three point landings later.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 08-31-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:33 AM

Smile

This advice from Bill helped me out a lot.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 PM

Great thread, I have about 15 hours in my RV-7 so I will be paying close attention here.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 PM

Well done Bill, great idea for a thread. I will be watching closely.
Flying
Old 08-31-2018, 10:40 PM

Bill:

I have one of Van's wooden grips atop the c.c. in my RV-7A. I had to cut the c.c. sufficiently so that the top of the grip would clear the bottom of the instrument panel.

The resultant c.c. is probably the height of the original unfinished stick. However, I do notice that I could probably shave another inch or two (which I won't do) as I find I'm holding it with thumb and a couple of fingers about halfway down the wooden grip, both during normal flight and formation flying.

Good thread...
Old 09-01-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner69 View Post
Bill:

I have one of Van's wooden grips atop the c.c. in my RV-7A. I had to cut the c.c. sufficiently so that the top of the grip would clear the bottom of the instrument panel.

The resultant c.c. is probably the height of the original unfinished stick. However, I do notice that I could probably shave another inch or two (which I won't do) as I find I'm holding it with thumb and a couple of fingers about halfway down the wooden grip, both during normal flight and formation flying.

Good thread...
You did exactly what I did by cutting the stick down so it's overall length remained the same after the grip was installed.

You may find that after all the controls are connected that your stick's forward travel will be limited and you won't hit the panel.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 09-01-2018, 05:25 AM

Default RV-9(A) pattern speeds

This applies to the RV-9(A) with a fixed pitch prop only. Other models and configurations will be different.

The -9 with its amazing airfoil, high aspect ratio wing, and slotted flaps has a stunning low stall speed and with a fixed pitch prop, it will pick up speed quickly, if you point the nose down.

With almost 1,000 hours in the -9, I found that when landing it works best if you put in ALL the flaps abeam your touchdown point and trim the plane for 60 knots when heavy (55knots when light) and fly the entire pattern at that speed.

This is different than the typical 10/10/10 deployment on each leg of the pattern most of us were taught.

It helps you make a stabilized approach and you aren't constantly fiddling with the trim and chasing your desired speed.

I do this regardless of the crosswind component and it has worked out well for me. With the -8(A) you are still well above the stall at those speeds, if your ASI is calibrated correctly.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 AM

Default Magic Yaw Damper - all models

I like to use this trick on final in bumpy conditions but it works well in cruise when your passenger(s) are turning green.

The result is that your plane will stop rocking and smooth right out.

Pump you feet back and forth ever so slightly, not even a quarter of an inch. You can do this while slipping on final but remember, you will have your pedals offset due to the cross control input required for any crosswind you are dealing with.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Don't over trim

I took Gary Sobek's advice and stopped throwing all the nose up trim I have at it and my wheel landings improved a lot. Gotta hold just a little back stick to keep the speed down on final. Once the wheels touch I just relax it a little and I'm rolling. It's easier than getting just the right timing and amount of push to pin the wheels.

I've got constant speed and I like to fly the pattern close and stay high on final. I don't go full flaps til late in the game. I'd rather slip than have to add power.

Get enough seat cushion and make yourself stretch to sit up high on final. The better you can see the runway, the better your judgement of height above it.

Ed Holyoke
RV-6
Old 09-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Default landing an RV

I've been flying my 7A for 6 years now. I had a cessna 152 for ten years before this and my landings most always consisted of some kind of a bounce or at least a drop to the runway. Once in a blue moon I would eek out a landing a line captain would be proud of.... a perfect squeaker! From the first flight in the RV I could tell things were going to be different. Beyond the obvious reasons, low wing versus high wing, I don't know why but it's incredibly easy to land an RV. More often than not I can squeak it on. Feels good! During transition training which was done in a 6A, I was told to use 80 knots as the approach speed then easing back on final knocking off another few knots. Works well. I usually cross the threshold at about 70 knots. It floats a little but gives me time to ease the nose up for a nice smooth touchdown. I also practice what Bill R. stated above about putting in flaps when abeam the numbers. I don't mess with them again. I use 20 degrees all the way down. By the time I'm turning base, I'm trimmed and have nothing to do other than concentrate on the traffic/birds/radio calls and landing. Works well.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 09-26-2018 at 08:53 AM.