- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM

Default Buying someone else's project?

I understand that buying someone else's project this far along will null my ability for a repairmans cert. But This guy claims all the plane needs is engine and radios. It's about 5 hours one way but the time savings of where the project is would make it worth it.

Any tips, concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM

I believe that if it is to be an ELSA RV-12 then it would not matter who built it as long as you have taken the 2 day course that qualifies you to maintain and inspect the airplane.
Zodiac 601 HDS, bought from builder 6-09
VAF dues paid until 7-19
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM

Says LSA compliant on the ad.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would build a tail kit first and then start looking for a project to take over.

The knowledge and skills gained during the building of the tail will apply to the entire project. Once you have completed at least one major sub assembly you would be in a better position to judge what you are looking at, and if the work is acceptable to your standards.

Im sure you have read about the importance of having a qualified builder look it over for you, but I understand thats not always possible & practical which is the situation I was in while looking.

Had I took the time to finish the tail kit I already owned I would have not bought the project I have now. When I bought my quickbuild 7a it was on gear with the canopy underway. Right now, its off the gear with virtually every rivet driven by the original builder drilled out and the quickbuild fuse is not to the quickbuild stage if you can imagine that!

Be careful
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM

LSA compliant means nothing as far as the repairman certificate goes.
LSA compliant only means that it can be flown by a sport pilot.
If it is an LSA compliant amateur-built and you finish the project, you still may be able to obtain the repairman certificate. Requirement is that you are a listed builder and you can show that you can competently perform the condition inspection. (The 51% rule does not apply to repairman cert.)
If it is a certified light-sport kit and you can supply the 8130-15, you can get the repairman certificate by completing a 2 day class.
The repairman certificate has no relevance to performing maintenance. It only allows you to perform the condition inspection. Anyone can perform maintenance on an experimental amateur-built or experimental light-sport aircraft.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award

Last edited by Mel : 04-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mel is right on. Hare's some other thoughts:

What you might consider doing is taking the course BEFORE you apply for the Repairman's Certificate to help the Inspector understand that you have demonstrated a serious focus onlearning to maintain the airplane properly. Most inspectors are all about safety. Plus, You don't need the Repairman's certificate until the 1st year anniversary of the Airworthiness, in order to perform the condition inspection. You can perform all of the maintenance during that first year, make all of the proper maintenance entries, take the course, and then go see an inspector, taking the logbooks with you.
You could even wait until you watch a qualified A&P use the Van's checklist the first year, and then apply for the Certificate. Certainly the most hardened Inspector should be impressed.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Thanks a lot you guys. I figured getting a qualified builder to look at it before I wasted 10 hours of driving to go up there. I'm going to Oshkosh for a couple of days.

Thanks Vic. I'll do some research. Just thought it would save me a ton of time.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 AM

I just had an interesting thought: How does a prospective buyer of a RV-12 project establish, for sure, that it is being built as an ELSA, as opposed to EAB?

I have an interest in this, in that I'm more than likely going to be selling my RV-12 project, which I'm building as an ELSA.

Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
I just had an interesting thought: How does a prospective buyer of a RV-12 project establish, for sure, that it is being built as an ELSA, as opposed to EAB?
I have an interest in this, in that I'm more than likely going to be selling my RV-12 project, which I'm building as an ELSA.
Jim
About the only way to determine this is to go through the plans with the builder and have him/her show that it is built to the plans with no modifications.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM

I'm located near by in the Huntsville Alabama area, built my 12 and recently did a pre-buy for a 12 for a friend. We got it about ready to fly with really no unexpected issues. Only cost for me is for meals and hotel if over night. Email if you want another set of eyes but only if it is for finishing it as a stock E-LSA 12 with no alternative engines.

By the way the engine and FWF package and Avionics packages are most of the airplane cost but if everything else is done they can be completed in just a few weekends. What will take time is cutting and fitting the cowling, spinner, wheel pants and then prepping them and the rest of the plane for paint. Hopefully the canopy is done with all fiberglass work completed. I think the fiberglass work is the most time consuming and least enjoyable part of building any RV including the 12.
RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 04-23-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added text