What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil leak

Blain

Well Known Member
I seem to have a small leak at the rear of the engine. Looks like it could be at the right mag mount. But I know the turbulent air after exiting the baffling might be misleading me.

Any tricks to tracking down a leak?

Check the "usual suspects" first, those for me are the oil drain tube to hose junctions, and the oil fill tube where it screws into the the case. You're right, oil can travel in surprising directions and distances. Next suggestion clean the engine well with stoddard solvent, go fly one trip around the pattern and have a look. If you can't solve it try the uv engine oil dye and a black flashlight. I've seen foot powder etc tried but it makes a bigger mess than the oil leak.
Good luck
Tim Andres

Could also be your primary suspect. Gasket between the case and mag is easily broken.

many engine plants pressurize the crankcase with 20-40 in-h2o and use soap solution/bubbles to locate leaks. This is about the same as a vacuum on blow into the breather.

UV dyes work too, just do a ground run or it will be everywhere too.

many engine plants pressurize the crankcase with 20-40 in-h2o and use soap solution/bubbles to locate leaks. This is about the same as a vacuum on blow into the breather.

UV dyes work too, just do a ground run or it will be everywhere too.

Never would have thought of this. Sounds like a good start.

Back