What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo on Fiberglass

I R A EE

I have a call into AkzoNobel that has not yet been returned so I am hoping for input for the weekend. The question relates to the substrates that the 463-12-8 Interior Fluid Resistant Epoxy Primer (the green stuff that is highly discussed on the forum) is compatible with. I have used it on all my interior aluminum parts and it has performed well against the normal bumps and scrapes of building. There are posts indicating that the JetFlex WR will stick to the Akzo long term so that is not in question. I have plenty of the Akzo primer that I could shoot on the inside of the fiberglass canopy but I cannot find any manufacturer data or posts that indicate long term success with the Akzo on fiberglass parts. If anyone knows if the Akzo is compatible with a fiberglass substrate I would be interested in hearing from you.

For the exterior I plan to use a primer that is compatible with the paint system I ultimately choose. At this point I would be great to just use the material on hand and push out the exterior paint decision for a later time.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

It adheres well to Fiberglas

A friend has been flying his RV7A for years with all his fiberglass parts primed with Akzo green epoxy primer. No issues.

Back